AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - More than 350,000 southern Sudanese refugees in the coming months are likely to pour into the already overcrowded homeless shelters in Gambella, Ethiopia. This is what Christian Aid said in a statement sent to Fides Agency, according to which in the six camps in Gambella, 140,000 southern Sudanese refugees have already been welcomed with over a thousand new arrivals per day.
The situation is becoming untenable in the Ethiopian shelters: the food is scarce, diseases are spread among the people accepted. Only 41% of the funds earmarked for the crisis in South Sudan arrived on the spot, while the regional response plan for Refugees has received only 22% of the necessary appropriations.
On June 11, thanks to the mediation of IGAD, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, an agreement between President Salva Kiir and leader of the rebels Riek Machar, was reached in Addis Ababa. The two sides have agreed to "complete the dialogue for the formation of a transitional government of national unity within 60 days, in addition to providing humanitarian support to the affected population".
The crisis broke out in South Sudan on December 15 due to the clash between two rival factions in the ruling party the SPLM (Sudan People's Liberation Movement), respectively led by President Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War