AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - More than 350,000 southern Sudanese refugees in the coming months are likely to pour into the already overcrowded homeless shelters in Gambella, Ethiopia. This is what Christian Aid said in a statement sent to Fides Agency, according to which in the six camps in Gambella, 140,000 southern Sudanese refugees have already been welcomed with over a thousand new arrivals per day.
The situation is becoming untenable in the Ethiopian shelters: the food is scarce, diseases are spread among the people accepted. Only 41% of the funds earmarked for the crisis in South Sudan arrived on the spot, while the regional response plan for Refugees has received only 22% of the necessary appropriations.
On June 11, thanks to the mediation of IGAD, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, an agreement between President Salva Kiir and leader of the rebels Riek Machar, was reached in Addis Ababa. The two sides have agreed to "complete the dialogue for the formation of a transitional government of national unity within 60 days, in addition to providing humanitarian support to the affected population".
The crisis broke out in South Sudan on December 15 due to the clash between two rival factions in the ruling party the SPLM (Sudan People's Liberation Movement), respectively led by President Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
- 2014-05-23 - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
- 2014-05-14 - Appeal of the World Council of Churches: "With the agreement signed, the real work starts now"
- 2014-05-05 - "Untold suffering of more than five thousand Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs" denounces the Assistant Parish Priest in Abyei
- 2014-04-30 - Child soldiers leave school to "avenge" their parents' death
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"