AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - More than 350,000 southern Sudanese refugees in the coming months are likely to pour into the already overcrowded homeless shelters in Gambella, Ethiopia. This is what Christian Aid said in a statement sent to Fides Agency, according to which in the six camps in Gambella, 140,000 southern Sudanese refugees have already been welcomed with over a thousand new arrivals per day.
The situation is becoming untenable in the Ethiopian shelters: the food is scarce, diseases are spread among the people accepted. Only 41% of the funds earmarked for the crisis in South Sudan arrived on the spot, while the regional response plan for Refugees has received only 22% of the necessary appropriations.
On June 11, thanks to the mediation of IGAD, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, an agreement between President Salva Kiir and leader of the rebels Riek Machar, was reached in Addis Ababa. The two sides have agreed to "complete the dialogue for the formation of a transitional government of national unity within 60 days, in addition to providing humanitarian support to the affected population".
The crisis broke out in South Sudan on December 15 due to the clash between two rival factions in the ruling party the SPLM (Sudan People's Liberation Movement), respectively led by President Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2015-11-09 - Violence, food insecurity, malnutrition: the population is exhausted
- 2015-11-04 - "South Sudan is not prepared to deal with terrorist infiltration"
- 2015-11-03 - Appeals from religious leaders regarding the fate of 80,000 displaced people in the woods
- 2015-11-03 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – The civil war continues to penalize the population: now the aim is survival
- 2015-10-20 - Apostolic Administrator of Torit: "It is more important to implement the peace agreement than create new States"
- 2015-10-08 - Perplexity about the creation of 28 new States
- 2015-10-02 - Malaria: 4,000 cases a week and the death of three children a day
- 2015-09-22 - Women, widows and orphans who live in absolute precariousness continues to increase
- 2015-09-15 - A Comboni Congolese missionary wounded in a road ambush
- 2015-09-03 - The Archbishop of Juba will inform Pope Francis on the situation in his country