AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - More than 350,000 southern Sudanese refugees in the coming months are likely to pour into the already overcrowded homeless shelters in Gambella, Ethiopia. This is what Christian Aid said in a statement sent to Fides Agency, according to which in the six camps in Gambella, 140,000 southern Sudanese refugees have already been welcomed with over a thousand new arrivals per day.
The situation is becoming untenable in the Ethiopian shelters: the food is scarce, diseases are spread among the people accepted. Only 41% of the funds earmarked for the crisis in South Sudan arrived on the spot, while the regional response plan for Refugees has received only 22% of the necessary appropriations.
On June 11, thanks to the mediation of IGAD, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, an agreement between President Salva Kiir and leader of the rebels Riek Machar, was reached in Addis Ababa. The two sides have agreed to "complete the dialogue for the formation of a transitional government of national unity within 60 days, in addition to providing humanitarian support to the affected population".
The crisis broke out in South Sudan on December 15 due to the clash between two rival factions in the ruling party the SPLM (Sudan People's Liberation Movement), respectively led by President Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/06/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda