AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The flight of the Muslims from Central Africa is a serious problem. If we do not want Christians to assimilate those who have hurt them, they must be helped by Christians. We need to act quickly if we do not want the co-existence among us to become wishful thinking", says His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, in a statement to the French Catholic daily "La Croix", during his visit to 600 Muslims Peuls camped in Yaloké, a town about a hundred kilometers from the capital of the Central African Republic.
Mgr. Nzapalainga personally drove his SUV, since it is part of a humanitarian aid convoy organized by the Catholic Church in favor of the 600 refugees in Yaloké. He was with a delegation of religious leaders led by the Imam of Bangui, Oumar Kobine Layama.
Sister Julietta, a native of South Korea's religious congregation of Saint-Paul de Chartres, head of the health center de Notre-Dame de Fatima Bangui was in another pick-up. Beside her were two other nurses.
Mgr. Nzapalainga sought to reassure the displaced in the refugee camp: "I am here with the imam that I welcomed in my home for five months. It is not enough to say 'we must live together', but we need to translate these words into concrete actions".
The situation remains precarious in Yaloké, but the Archbishop, on taking the road back to Bangui, promised: "we will be back soon, we will not abandon you". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/06/2014)
- 2015-11-30 - The Bishop of Bangassou:"Pope Francis managed to leave all Central Africans with a smile"
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma