AFRICA/CONGO DR - Massacre in South Kivu: it is not land conflict but clash among local politicians
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Thirty-one dead and 29 injured. This is the toll of the assault committed by a group of armed men in the village of Mutarule, in the Ruzizi Plain, in South Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo), which occurred on the night of 6 and 7 June.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by some missionaries, the assault lasted from 11pm on June 6 until 2am - June 7th. A center of worship of the Christian community called "8e CEPAC", whose members were still gathered at the meeting, and the hospital run by the same community were attacked. The victims were 8 men, 8 children, 14 women and a military. Among the victims there was an activist for human rights, Akili bigamist, who went to Mutarule for a meeting with the local population, and he was probably the target of the attack.
The organization to which the man belonged, "Association contre le mal et pour l'encadrement de la jeunesse", sent a statement to Fides in which it is recommended to reject "hasty" readings of the massacre, caused by a land clash between land two ethnic groups. Instead according to the statement, the authors of this attack are Burundian rebels who have been in the area for some time, and acted against the backdrop of a rivalry among some local politicians.
The local civil society also denounces the inactivity of the Congolese security forces, which were present in the vicinity of where the massacre took place, but did not intervene to stop it. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/06/2014)
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years