ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - New commitment to enhance the ecumenical movement: social evangelization and missionary initiatives
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) – To enhance the ecumenical movement and to collaborate together for social evangelization in Korea: these are the reasons that led to the establishment of a new and specific Commission, called "Commission on Faith and Order of Korean Churches", which recently held its first General Assembly, according to the note sent to Fides Agency by the Korean Bishops' Conference.
The Korean churches have continued to make efforts for ecumenical movement in Korea, with the publication of the Common Translation Bible, joint organization of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, and Forum for Christian Unity in Korea. In 2002, they organized the "Conference of Christian Unity of Korea" in order to enhance ecumenical movement.
In answer to the increasing calls for its revitalization, the representatives of the Korean churches agreed to reorganize the ‘Conference of Christian Unity of Korea’ into the ‘Commission on Faith and Order of Korean Churches’ in 2012.
The member churches of this newly reformed Commission are 11 religious bodies: the Catholic Church in Korea, the Orthodox Church in Korea, the National Council of Churches in Korea (NCCK), the Presbyterian Church of Korea, General Assembly of Presbyterian Church, the Korean Methodist Church, the Anglican Church of Korea, the Salvation Army of Korea Territory, Korea Evangelical Church, the Korea Assemblies of God, Lutheran Church of Korea.
The Commission will play a pivotal role to share common heritages of faith and to discuss missionary tasks in mutual dialogue. It also intends to contribute to social evangelization in Korea, strengthening the movement of Christian unity by concrete actions. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 12/06/2014)
- 2015-11-26 - Prayer initiative for the Jubilee: "The Church in North Korea is in my heart"
- 2015-11-23 - Beyond the peripheries, in search of the "run-away teenagers"
- 2015-11-16 - The closeness of the Church in Korea to French nationals
- 2015-10-27 - Catholic priests from South Korea participate at mass in Pyongyang
- 2015-09-26 - Prayers for peace in the Church closer to the demilitarized zone
- 2015-09-23 - Young people on a mission with a smartphone
- 2015-09-01 - Young friends of the environment, starting from small daily practices
- 2015-07-24 - ASIA/KOREA – Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Suwon
- 2015-06-23 - A new United Nations Office for Human Rights focused on North Korea, opens in Seoul
- 2015-06-19 - Prayer and fasting for peace and reconciliation in Korea