AMERICA/COSTA RICA - More than 47 thousand children suffer violence and are forced to work
San Jose (Agenzia Fides) – The "Patronato Nacional de la Infancia" (PANI) in Costa Rica, reported that more than 47,000 children are victims of child labor and abuse, many are employed in domestic work and agriculture. The note sent to Fides Agency from local sources informed that the in Central American country, the law prohibits child labor under 15 years of age, with some limitations allowed between 15 and 18 years of age. Yet many children are exploited, forced to work without pay and under the pressures of physical violence.
This drama, which in 2013 reached 168 million children in the world, according to the International Labour Office (ILO), in Latin America and the Caribbean affects 13 million, many of whom are engaged in hazardous activities related to begging and the sale of items on the streets.
Ana Teresa León, President of PANI in Costa Rica, spoke recently at the Forum "Social protection, key to the eradication of child labor", together with the Minister of Labour and the representative of the ILO. A plan to remove this scourge from the country by 2020 was presented, and what was also pointed out was the fact that this scourge determines the absence of children from schools. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/06/2014)
- 2014-06-12 - More than 47 thousand children suffer violence and are forced to work
- 2014-06-09 - Over 47 000 boys and girls exploited for child labor
- 2014-04-07 - Presidential elections: the Bishops urge unity for peace, solidarity, justice and holiness
- 2014-02-15 - Bishops to MPs: "only wear the shirt of Costa Rica"
- 2014-01-27 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA – The Bishops' appeal before the vote on February 2: Choose the deputies with attention
- 2014-01-08 - The new Bishop of El General calls on Costa Ricans to vote on February 2
- 2013-11-20 - From December, all the parishes will reflect on the Bishops’ document in view of elections
- 2013-11-19 - Alert concerning dengue cases among children under 4 years of age: since 2013 1,500 have been infected
- 2013-11-14 - Appeal rejected: the Bishops' document on the election does not favor any party
- 2013-10-28 - " It is time to act!": Families in defense of life, the first human right