AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "Religion is a powerful social force, but it can be used for both good and evil. The role that the political system assigns to religion has a lot to do with the impact it can have on the nation, for better or worse" say the Catholic Bishops of Nigeria in a statement entitled "Religion and State in Nigeria".
The Bishops state: "our problem seems to be how to reconcile the two principles, seemingly conflicting, written in our Constitution, namely: (a) that Nigeria is a nation under one God" (b) that the Government of the Federation or of a State shall not adopt any religion as State Religion (Article 10 of our Constitution)".
The message points out that the adoption of Islam as State religion in some parts of northern Nigeria, albeit unofficially, through the policies supported by local governments, creates a conflict with Art. 10 of the Nigerian Constitution, and results in the discrimination of other religions to begin with Christianity, particularly in the field of law for the acquisition of land on which to build new churches and places of worship, and the lack of sponsorship of pilgrimages both at a federal and local government level. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/06/2014)
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-06 - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
- 2014-06-06 - "Boko Haram threatens the unity of the army", says Cardinal Onaiyekan to Fides
- 2014-05-28 - Boko Haram: For Cardinal Onaiyekan "It is not enough to condemn violence alone, but it is also necessary to condemn intollerant positions"
- 2014-05-23 - "The kidnapping of the girls in Chibok has united the Country", said the Bishop of Sokoto