AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "Religion is a powerful social force, but it can be used for both good and evil. The role that the political system assigns to religion has a lot to do with the impact it can have on the nation, for better or worse" say the Catholic Bishops of Nigeria in a statement entitled "Religion and State in Nigeria".
The Bishops state: "our problem seems to be how to reconcile the two principles, seemingly conflicting, written in our Constitution, namely: (a) that Nigeria is a nation under one God" (b) that the Government of the Federation or of a State shall not adopt any religion as State Religion (Article 10 of our Constitution)".
The message points out that the adoption of Islam as State religion in some parts of northern Nigeria, albeit unofficially, through the policies supported by local governments, creates a conflict with Art. 10 of the Nigerian Constitution, and results in the discrimination of other religions to begin with Christianity, particularly in the field of law for the acquisition of land on which to build new churches and places of worship, and the lack of sponsorship of pilgrimages both at a federal and local government level. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/06/2014)
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram
- 2014-10-23 - New attacks and another 60 girls kidnapped: the possibility of a truce with Boko Haram vanishes
- 2014-10-07 - New toll of the violence perpetrated by Boko Haram: 185 churches destroyed and 190,000 civilians flee
- 2014-09-26 - "I have never uttered those sentences on the CAN President", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-09-24 - The Bishops’ warning: "In the face of Boko Haram, the nation is in danger"