AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The only goal that matters is the demarcation of our lands", say the indigenous
Mato Preto (Agenzia Fides) - "For us indigenous, the only goal that matters is the demarcation of our lands": this is the statement of Sonia Guajajaras, coordinator of the association that brings together the indigenous peoples of Brazil, after the meeting which was held at the end of May with the President of the House and Senate. Once again, politicians had promised to act in their favor, but 10 days have gone by and there have been no concrete results. Indeed, given the failure of the so-called "round-table discussions", minister Cardozo has adopted a legal/political term "ajuste de direitos" (settlement of rights), which in practice reduces the land of the Guarani communities in Mato Preto, from 4000 to 600 hectares. In case of rejection of the proposal, the situation would remain unchanged. Called to choose, the Guarani of Mato Preto are well aware of what this would mean for their lives and therefore do not agree.
According to the note sent to Fides by CIMI (Indigenous Missionary Council), it is not the first time that the rights of indigenous peoples are trampled on. "This is a colonial practice of five centuries", the statement said, only the names of the protagonists change, who have no qualms or concerns about human rights, justice, the reactions of the indigenous, only strength prevails and the state of injustice is imposed.
For this reason, indigenous groups have threatened to make themselves heard during the course of the World Cup. According to the latest news, they have already proposed mobilizations in 3 states where matches will take place: Sao Paulo, Parana and Rio Grande do Sul. We also learn that other groups for the defense of human rights have offered to support the cause with demonstrations in the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/06/2014)
- 2015-11-25 - National school feeding program to improve the living conditions of children and farmers
- 2015-11-23 - The presence of foreign missionaries enriches the Church in Brazil
- 2015-11-13 - Two more religious missionary nuns sent to Haiti: they will help children, youth and families
- 2015-10-30 - Bishops' message: Crisis in the country worsens, dialogue and democracy are needed
- 2015-10-20 - "Scalabrinian Mission": opening of a new reception center for refugees in Sao Paulo
- 2015-10-14 - "The wealth of Brazil should be better distributed" asks Mgr. Nicioli
- 2015-10-10 - The Church: it is urgent to save abandoned children and adolescents who have disappeared
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age