AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The only goal that matters is the demarcation of our lands", say the indigenous
Mato Preto (Agenzia Fides) - "For us indigenous, the only goal that matters is the demarcation of our lands": this is the statement of Sonia Guajajaras, coordinator of the association that brings together the indigenous peoples of Brazil, after the meeting which was held at the end of May with the President of the House and Senate. Once again, politicians had promised to act in their favor, but 10 days have gone by and there have been no concrete results. Indeed, given the failure of the so-called "round-table discussions", minister Cardozo has adopted a legal/political term "ajuste de direitos" (settlement of rights), which in practice reduces the land of the Guarani communities in Mato Preto, from 4000 to 600 hectares. In case of rejection of the proposal, the situation would remain unchanged. Called to choose, the Guarani of Mato Preto are well aware of what this would mean for their lives and therefore do not agree.
According to the note sent to Fides by CIMI (Indigenous Missionary Council), it is not the first time that the rights of indigenous peoples are trampled on. "This is a colonial practice of five centuries", the statement said, only the names of the protagonists change, who have no qualms or concerns about human rights, justice, the reactions of the indigenous, only strength prevails and the state of injustice is imposed.
For this reason, indigenous groups have threatened to make themselves heard during the course of the World Cup. According to the latest news, they have already proposed mobilizations in 3 states where matches will take place: Sao Paulo, Parana and Rio Grande do Sul. We also learn that other groups for the defense of human rights have offered to support the cause with demonstrations in the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/06/2014)
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future
- 2015-05-27 - Bishops’ refelection: "Thinking Brazil", social inequalities in Brazil
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI