AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A motorway to unite the country ... even the Church is moving
San Juan (Agenzia Fides) - According to the Bishop of San Juan de la Maguana in the Dominican Republic, His Exc. Mgr. José Dolores Grullón Estrella, the population of the capital has discouraged the President of the Republic, Danilo Medina, from undertaking the construction of the San Juan-Santiago motorway. For this reason, the Archbishop has urged the population of the south to demonstrate to ask for the start of work of this important line of communication that affects the entire country.
The note sent to Fides Agency informs that Mgr. Grullón Estrella invited everyone to demonstrate on Thursday, June 12th, at the Independencia Park in the capital, "because if we are not united, President Medina will never build the San Juan-Santiago motorway" he said. The Bishop spoke during the Mass celebrated in the parish of the Holy Spirit on Sunday, 8th June, on the occasion of the patronal feast of this community.
The construction project of the San Juan-Santiago motorway (about 215 km) has caused controversy among supporters of the project and those who are contrary to the potential ecological damage and the high economic investment it requires. According to data gathered by Fides, the communities of the South, such as the province of San Juan, with its 250 thousand inhabitants, in this way would finally be connected to the rest of the island, but the other side of La Academia de Ciencias de la República Dominicana (ACRD) believes that the construction of the motorway (according to the currently planned route) would damage the natural ecosystem of the area and cause irreversible environmental damage. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/06/2014)
- 2015-10-29 - Archbishop Bretón Martínez contrary to the wall to prevent the entry of Haitians
- 2015-10-16 - "Learn to live with mutual respect": tension between Haiti and Dominican Republic decreases
- 2015-10-09 - Catholic Church and Public Health together against dengue
- 2015-10-06 - Tensions between Haiti and Santo Domingo for economic measures, the Bishops denounce those who sow discord
- 2015-09-30 - First "regional dialogue" against food waste
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of pilgrims for the feast of the Patron saint of the country
- 2015-09-22 - Dengue: alert in hospitals and health centers in the Country
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez