AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "For the people, priority is the fight against the Ugandan ADF-NALU rebels who have kidnapped at least 894 people, of whom there has been no news", said a representative of civil society in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo) to Sister Teresina Caffi, a Xaverian missionary, who sent a note to Fides Agency on the complex situation of the area where various armed movements act. "The African Intervention Force argue that the priority of the United Nations are the Rwandese FDLR fighters. Why don’t they listen to the people?" continues the representative of civil society.
"The FDLR are a threat, but do not hold nearly nine hundred people hostage! We want to recover these people, among them there are three priests (these are the Assumptionist fathers of Congolese nationality, Jean-Pierre Ndulani, Anselme Wasikundi and Edmond Bamutute, who disappeared on the evening of October 19, 2012, in their parish of Notre-Dame des Pauvres in Mbau, (see Fides 22/10/2012), a doctor, four MSF-France operators, more than 250 children and several hundred women. Knowing their fate is a priority for us", concludes the activist for civil rights. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/06/2014)
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries
- 2014-06-17 - The Congolese doctor who helps victims of sexual violence:"rape is a weapon of mass destruction"
- 2014-06-13 - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
- 2014-06-12 - Massacre in South Kivu: it is not land conflict but clash among local politicians
- 2014-06-09 - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012