AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "For the people, priority is the fight against the Ugandan ADF-NALU rebels who have kidnapped at least 894 people, of whom there has been no news", said a representative of civil society in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo) to Sister Teresina Caffi, a Xaverian missionary, who sent a note to Fides Agency on the complex situation of the area where various armed movements act. "The African Intervention Force argue that the priority of the United Nations are the Rwandese FDLR fighters. Why don’t they listen to the people?" continues the representative of civil society.
"The FDLR are a threat, but do not hold nearly nine hundred people hostage! We want to recover these people, among them there are three priests (these are the Assumptionist fathers of Congolese nationality, Jean-Pierre Ndulani, Anselme Wasikundi and Edmond Bamutute, who disappeared on the evening of October 19, 2012, in their parish of Notre-Dame des Pauvres in Mbau, (see Fides 22/10/2012), a doctor, four MSF-France operators, more than 250 children and several hundred women. Knowing their fate is a priority for us", concludes the activist for civil rights. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/06/2014)
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue
- 2015-06-09 - After the Bishops also civil society denounces the massacres committed by jihadists in Beni, "the world must intervene"
- 2015-06-05 - International ecumenical initiative launched to accompany the 2016 elections
- 2015-06-02 - The Bishops’ request to the President: "A national dialogue in accordance with the Constitution"
- 2015-05-26 - The Bishops denounce: "In eastern Congo three basic training camps for jihadists; but the UN observes without intervening"