AFRICA/CONGO DR - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "For the people, priority is the fight against the Ugandan ADF-NALU rebels who have kidnapped at least 894 people, of whom there has been no news", said a representative of civil society in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo) to Sister Teresina Caffi, a Xaverian missionary, who sent a note to Fides Agency on the complex situation of the area where various armed movements act. "The African Intervention Force argue that the priority of the United Nations are the Rwandese FDLR fighters. Why don’t they listen to the people?" continues the representative of civil society.
"The FDLR are a threat, but do not hold nearly nine hundred people hostage! We want to recover these people, among them there are three priests (these are the Assumptionist fathers of Congolese nationality, Jean-Pierre Ndulani, Anselme Wasikundi and Edmond Bamutute, who disappeared on the evening of October 19, 2012, in their parish of Notre-Dame des Pauvres in Mbau, (see Fides 22/10/2012), a doctor, four MSF-France operators, more than 250 children and several hundred women. Knowing their fate is a priority for us", concludes the activist for civil rights. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/06/2014)
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years
- 2015-02-12 - A UN report highlights the international links of the Congolese guerrillas
- 2015-02-05 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops ask for a clear electoral calendar
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue