AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Nigeria are proposing an initiative of national prayer, from July to December, to restore peace in the Country, put to the test because of the violence of Boko Haram. According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops suggest a special prayer intention every month: in July for the release of all kidnapped people in Nigeria; in August for those who suffer the consequences of violence; in September for the agents of security forces who have lost their lives or were injured to defend the Country; in October for unity, peace and good governance; in November for the eradication of corruption and the promotion of justice; in December for the promotion of family values, family, and the protection of human life.
According to the guidelines suggested by the Bishops, the prayer will be held at a family (each family is invited to recite the Rosary on Saturday night), parish, diocesan (Rosary and Eucharistic Adoration on the last Saturday of the month) and national levels, with a pilgrimage on 13 and 14 November at the National Ecumenical Centre in Abuja. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2014)
- 2014-09-19 - There are 25 cities in the hands of Boko Haram: the complaint of the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2014-09-16 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – Death sentence for military: insecurity symptom among troops combatting Boko Haram
- 2014-09-15 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – At least 2,500 Catholics killed in violence by Boko Haram, Bishop of Maiduguri reports
- 2014-09-13 - "There is no fighting in Maiduguri, but the army patrols the churches"
- 2014-09-10 - Not even its Nigerian sponsors can control Boko Haram, now an international organisation
- 2014-09-06 - “Christians, but also Muslims, flee from Boko Haram” say local Church sources
- 2014-09-04 - “What is happening in the north of Nigeria is similar to what happened in Iraq” says a priest in Abuja
- 2014-08-22 - More than 11,000 people fleeing due to the conquest of their city by Boko Haram
- 2014-08-20 - "Ill-gotten wealth from oil bunkering could be used to destabilize", said the Bishop of Umuahia
- 2014-08-19 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – "It is worrying to see Boko Haram trying to conquer territories", said the Archbishop of Lagos