AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Nigeria are proposing an initiative of national prayer, from July to December, to restore peace in the Country, put to the test because of the violence of Boko Haram. According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops suggest a special prayer intention every month: in July for the release of all kidnapped people in Nigeria; in August for those who suffer the consequences of violence; in September for the agents of security forces who have lost their lives or were injured to defend the Country; in October for unity, peace and good governance; in November for the eradication of corruption and the promotion of justice; in December for the promotion of family values, family, and the protection of human life.
According to the guidelines suggested by the Bishops, the prayer will be held at a family (each family is invited to recite the Rosary on Saturday night), parish, diocesan (Rosary and Eucharistic Adoration on the last Saturday of the month) and national levels, with a pilgrimage on 13 and 14 November at the National Ecumenical Centre in Abuja. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2014)
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released
- 2015-05-07 - Catholic priest Kidnapped
- 2015-04-29 - The Nigerian army have expressed joy for the release of hostages held by the Boko Haram Islamist sect and sorrow for the discovery of mass graves
- 2015-04-14 - Mgr. Kaigama: "It is worrying that we do not know anything about the Chibok girls one year after their kidnapping"
- 2015-04-14 - The Bishops in Ibadan: "We are concerned about the violation regarding the sanctity of life"
- 2015-04-08 - "Do not give in to the temptation of revenge", says the Bishop of Maiduguri to the displaced persons who have returned to their destroyed homes
- 2015-04-01 - Muhammadu Buhari elected President; Bishops invite to respect the result
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"