AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Nigeria are proposing an initiative of national prayer, from July to December, to restore peace in the Country, put to the test because of the violence of Boko Haram. According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops suggest a special prayer intention every month: in July for the release of all kidnapped people in Nigeria; in August for those who suffer the consequences of violence; in September for the agents of security forces who have lost their lives or were injured to defend the Country; in October for unity, peace and good governance; in November for the eradication of corruption and the promotion of justice; in December for the promotion of family values, family, and the protection of human life.
According to the guidelines suggested by the Bishops, the prayer will be held at a family (each family is invited to recite the Rosary on Saturday night), parish, diocesan (Rosary and Eucharistic Adoration on the last Saturday of the month) and national levels, with a pilgrimage on 13 and 14 November at the National Ecumenical Centre in Abuja. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2014)
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram
- 2014-10-23 - New attacks and another 60 girls kidnapped: the possibility of a truce with Boko Haram vanishes
- 2014-10-07 - New toll of the violence perpetrated by Boko Haram: 185 churches destroyed and 190,000 civilians flee
- 2014-09-26 - "I have never uttered those sentences on the CAN President", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-09-24 - The Bishops’ warning: "In the face of Boko Haram, the nation is in danger"