AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Nigeria are proposing an initiative of national prayer, from July to December, to restore peace in the Country, put to the test because of the violence of Boko Haram. According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops suggest a special prayer intention every month: in July for the release of all kidnapped people in Nigeria; in August for those who suffer the consequences of violence; in September for the agents of security forces who have lost their lives or were injured to defend the Country; in October for unity, peace and good governance; in November for the eradication of corruption and the promotion of justice; in December for the promotion of family values, family, and the protection of human life.
According to the guidelines suggested by the Bishops, the prayer will be held at a family (each family is invited to recite the Rosary on Saturday night), parish, diocesan (Rosary and Eucharistic Adoration on the last Saturday of the month) and national levels, with a pilgrimage on 13 and 14 November at the National Ecumenical Centre in Abuja. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2014)
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-06 - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
- 2014-06-06 - "Boko Haram threatens the unity of the army", says Cardinal Onaiyekan to Fides
- 2014-05-28 - Boko Haram: For Cardinal Onaiyekan "It is not enough to condemn violence alone, but it is also necessary to condemn intollerant positions"
- 2014-05-23 - "The kidnapping of the girls in Chibok has united the Country", said the Bishop of Sokoto