AMERICA/BRAZIL - World Cup: 10 Rules for fair play and for a more just society
Rio de Janeiro (Agenzia Fides) - Fair play and a more just society: this is the goal highlighted by the Catholic Church in Germany (through its body ADVENIAT and other supporters), in collaboration with the National Conference of bishops of Brazil (CNBB ) and the Conference of Religious of Brazil (CRB ), through the campaign "Steilpass" (ie, the decisive turning point, "assist" in the football jargon, to score goals) for the 2014 world Cup.
The initiative will be presented on 10 and 11 June in Rio de Janeiro and Brasilia. On the 12th, coinciding with the start of the World Championship, the organizers of the campaign intend to give the Brazilian government ten requests that characterize the proposal: "Ten Rules for fair play and justice for all".
The note sent to Fides Agency reports the 10 petitions: the need to create decent work for all; access to a complete public education; ensure democratic control of justice; rural and agrarian reforms in an equitable manner; democratic control of the media; promote and protect young people from violence; preserve the cultural diversity of the peoples; fight corruption and ensure transparency; undertake initiatives to promote social commitment of citizens; health care for all. Through "Steilpass" one wants to respond to the social problems expressed in several demonstrations carried out recently. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age
- 2015-09-03 - The memory of the missionary Fr. Ezechiele Ramin is still alive even 30 years after his assassination
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang