ASIA/IRAQ - Iraqi Christians on pilgrimage to the house of Abraham, calling for national reconciliation
Basra (Agenzia Fides) - A group of Christians in Bassora and Baghdad, led by the Chaldean Archbishop of Basra, Habib al-Naufali, on Wednesday June 4th made a pilgrimage to the house of Abraham, in the archaeological site of Ur (18 km west of Nasiriyah), where a Mass was celebrated to invoke the gift of peace and national unity. During the pilgrimage, Archbishop al-Naufali relaunched the idea of erecting a church in the area that also offers a reference point for pilgrims who visit the places from where the mission of Abraham started, the Father of all believers. In the last year visits and pilgrimages to ancient Ur have intensified, also favored by local bodies for the promotion of tourism, eager to show that the area is safe and ready to welcome Pope Francis. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"
- 2014-07-23 - The jihadists of the "Caliphate" attack Tilkif, rejected by Kurdish Peshmerga
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated
- 2014-07-15 - Letter from Patriarch Louis Raphael I to Iraqi Parliament: there is no time to waste
- 2014-07-15 - The Chaldean nuns and the children released, "a sign of hope for all"