ASIA/PHILIPPINES - "Peace is living together": international conference for reconciliation in Mindanao
Cotabato (Agenzia Fides) - Emphasizing the crucial role that religions and cultures can have to build peace and reconciliation in Mindanao: is the aim of the international conference to be held on 6 and 7 June in Cotabato, at Notre Dame University, a university founded by the missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI), present in the Southern Philippines. The conference, titled "Peace is living together", is organized in collaboration with the Archdiocese of Cotabato, the Community of Sant'Egidio and the Indonesian Muslim "Muhammadiyah" association. Christian and Muslim leading figures will intervene, such as Cardinal Orlando Quevedo, Archbishop of Cotabato, civic leaders and politicians, personalities from the world of education and culture. Religious, political, social and cultural organizations interested or involved in the peace process in the South Philippines will be present.
The conference will be a moment of reflection after the historic agreement signed for peace in the southern Philippines, emphasizing the criteria of inclusion, described as "fundamental at a social and political level, for majorities and minorities, all with the right to be represented", as reported in an explanatory note sent to Fides. In this context, it is said, "it will be extremely significant that Bangsamoro Parliament ( Muslim region of the South, ed) is composed of Muslims, Christians, indigenous and independent members".
The event aims to support the peace process and to broaden the participation in all religious, civil and political realities in Mindanao. After signing the agreement, in fact, the challenge now is to implement the peace process in the region". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops: No to violence in Mindanao, support for the peace process
- 2015-01-20 - Bishops: to put into practice the words of the Pope on the proximity to the poor
- 2015-01-19 - "Year of the poor" and new evangelization: Bishops in assembly after the Pope's visit
- 2015-01-17 - The Pope shows deep compassion for the victims of the Typhoon
- 2015-01-16 - evangelize families: the Pope encourages them to be "living school of the Gospel"
- 2015-01-15 - The Director of the PMS: "The Pope in the Philippines shows us mercy towards the last"
- 2015-01-14 - A missionary, after the bombing in Paris: "Dear Muslim brothers, we mourn with you"
- 2014-12-10 - "Yolanda" survivors now helping "Hagupit" victims
- 2014-12-01 - Compassion but also "no" to corruption: the Church celebrates the Year of the poor
- 2014-11-29 - The Silsilah movement: Advent of solidarity and friendship with Muslims