ASIA/PHILIPPINES - "Peace is living together": international conference for reconciliation in Mindanao
Cotabato (Agenzia Fides) - Emphasizing the crucial role that religions and cultures can have to build peace and reconciliation in Mindanao: is the aim of the international conference to be held on 6 and 7 June in Cotabato, at Notre Dame University, a university founded by the missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI), present in the Southern Philippines. The conference, titled "Peace is living together", is organized in collaboration with the Archdiocese of Cotabato, the Community of Sant'Egidio and the Indonesian Muslim "Muhammadiyah" association. Christian and Muslim leading figures will intervene, such as Cardinal Orlando Quevedo, Archbishop of Cotabato, civic leaders and politicians, personalities from the world of education and culture. Religious, political, social and cultural organizations interested or involved in the peace process in the South Philippines will be present.
The conference will be a moment of reflection after the historic agreement signed for peace in the southern Philippines, emphasizing the criteria of inclusion, described as "fundamental at a social and political level, for majorities and minorities, all with the right to be represented", as reported in an explanatory note sent to Fides. In this context, it is said, "it will be extremely significant that Bangsamoro Parliament ( Muslim region of the South, ed) is composed of Muslims, Christians, indigenous and independent members".
The event aims to support the peace process and to broaden the participation in all religious, civil and political realities in Mindanao. After signing the agreement, in fact, the challenge now is to implement the peace process in the region". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2015-09-30 - Thousands of children risk their lives in the gold mines
- 2015-09-30 - Priest stabbed to death in central Philippines
- 2015-09-26 - An incentive from Pope Francis to fight against human trafficking
- 2015-09-24 - The Church alongside the tribal victims of violence and persecution
- 2015-09-11 - From the crisis of Zamboanga, a hope for Muslim-Christian relations
- 2015-09-08 - Peace is possible in the southern Philippines, with faith
- 2015-08-28 - The Church joins the Pope for the "Day of Creation" which opens the "Season of Creation"
- 2015-08-26 - Caritas launches "phase two" for rehabilitation after typhoon Yolanda
- 2015-07-21 - Bishops' Message: "Climate change, a matter of social justice"
- 2015-06-25 - "Laudati Sì" a source of inspiration for dialogue and for the care of creation