AMERICA/MEXICO - Children forced to work 35 hours per week in dangerous conditions
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Of the more than three million children who carry out any type of work and in poor conditions in Mexico, 1 million 200 thousand, or 39%, do not go to school. According to data collected by the Módulo de Trabajo Infantil INEGI - Secretaría del Trabajo, 5.5 % of children work in unsuitable places, 28% do risky jobs and work for more than 15 hours, and 31.5 % for periods longer than 35 hours per week. Despite the total failure of the few regulations provided against this type of abuse, there are no fines. Child labor represents a social problem linked among other things to poverty, inequality, lack of opportunity, unemployment, family disintegration. The areas with the largest number of working children between 5 and 17 years of age are found in the states of Mexico, Chiapas, Jalisco, Puebla, Guerrero, Michoacán, Guanajuato, Oaxaca, Veracruz and the Federal District. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"