AMERICA/MEXICO - Children forced to work 35 hours per week in dangerous conditions
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Of the more than three million children who carry out any type of work and in poor conditions in Mexico, 1 million 200 thousand, or 39%, do not go to school. According to data collected by the Módulo de Trabajo Infantil INEGI - Secretaría del Trabajo, 5.5 % of children work in unsuitable places, 28% do risky jobs and work for more than 15 hours, and 31.5 % for periods longer than 35 hours per week. Despite the total failure of the few regulations provided against this type of abuse, there are no fines. Child labor represents a social problem linked among other things to poverty, inequality, lack of opportunity, unemployment, family disintegration. The areas with the largest number of working children between 5 and 17 years of age are found in the states of Mexico, Chiapas, Jalisco, Puebla, Guerrero, Michoacán, Guanajuato, Oaxaca, Veracruz and the Federal District. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States