AMERICA/MEXICO - Children forced to work 35 hours per week in dangerous conditions
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Of the more than three million children who carry out any type of work and in poor conditions in Mexico, 1 million 200 thousand, or 39%, do not go to school. According to data collected by the Módulo de Trabajo Infantil INEGI - Secretaría del Trabajo, 5.5 % of children work in unsuitable places, 28% do risky jobs and work for more than 15 hours, and 31.5 % for periods longer than 35 hours per week. Despite the total failure of the few regulations provided against this type of abuse, there are no fines. Child labor represents a social problem linked among other things to poverty, inequality, lack of opportunity, unemployment, family disintegration. The areas with the largest number of working children between 5 and 17 years of age are found in the states of Mexico, Chiapas, Jalisco, Puebla, Guerrero, Michoacán, Guanajuato, Oaxaca, Veracruz and the Federal District. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"