ASIA/SYRIA - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - In Aleppo the presidential vote with which Assad seeks to perpetuate his power was held with the central districts subjected to intense missile launch and the whole city without water again. "For two days we have been without water" refers to Fides Agency the Armenian Catholic Archbishop Boutros Marayati, from the patriarchal residence which on Tuesday was hit by one of the missiles on the city. "It was a pretty powerful missile - said the Archbishop - which damaged the school and one wing of the building, breaking the doors and shattering many windows. Another missile, less powerful, fell on our school yesterday".
According to His Beatitude Marayati the launch of the missiles which intensified in recent days were aimed to counter the influx of voters to polling stations: "In the districts under the control of the army", said the Armenian Catholic Archbishop "all citizens are for various reasons siding with Assad. And many went to vote despite the missile launches".
According to official sources, Bashar al-Assad was elected President with 88,7% of the vote. According to the same sources 11.6 million Syrians participated in the vote on 3 June (defined as "a farce" by the opposition).
Of the two competing candidates, Hassan al-Nouri obtained 4.3% of the votes and Maher al- Hajjar 3.2%. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights - the organization close to the opposition based in London - gunfire shots exploded in Damascus and Aleppo to celebrate Assad’s victory, which killed at least 3 people and 20 were injured. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2015-02-27 - Anguish for Christians held hostage by jihadists; Syrian Catholic Archbishop Hindo: avoid unnecessary alarm
- 2015-02-26 - The jihadists of the Islamic State deport Christian prisoners of the villages of Khabur
- 2015-02-25 - Christian villages attacked: more than 100 hostages in the hands of the jihadists; Archbishop Hindo denounces the "wretched" choices of the West
- 2015-02-24 - Islamic State jihadists attack Christian villages along the river Khabur
- 2015-02-20 - Syrian-Orthodox priest detained by Kurds is released
- 2015-02-19 - Orthodox priest and laity arrested by Kurd military
- 2015-02-06 - Kurdish Militia regain control of Tel Hormuz, reestablished the cross removed by jihadists
- 2015-02-06 - Bombing in Damascus, the Franciscan monastery attacked in the area of Bab Touma
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children