ASIA/SYRIA - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - In Aleppo the presidential vote with which Assad seeks to perpetuate his power was held with the central districts subjected to intense missile launch and the whole city without water again. "For two days we have been without water" refers to Fides Agency the Armenian Catholic Archbishop Boutros Marayati, from the patriarchal residence which on Tuesday was hit by one of the missiles on the city. "It was a pretty powerful missile - said the Archbishop - which damaged the school and one wing of the building, breaking the doors and shattering many windows. Another missile, less powerful, fell on our school yesterday".
According to His Beatitude Marayati the launch of the missiles which intensified in recent days were aimed to counter the influx of voters to polling stations: "In the districts under the control of the army", said the Armenian Catholic Archbishop "all citizens are for various reasons siding with Assad. And many went to vote despite the missile launches".
According to official sources, Bashar al-Assad was elected President with 88,7% of the vote. According to the same sources 11.6 million Syrians participated in the vote on 3 June (defined as "a farce" by the opposition).
Of the two competing candidates, Hassan al-Nouri obtained 4.3% of the votes and Maher al- Hajjar 3.2%. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights - the organization close to the opposition based in London - gunfire shots exploded in Damascus and Aleppo to celebrate Assad’s victory, which killed at least 3 people and 20 were injured. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims
- 2015-09-03 - A video and a letter from Father Jacques Murad, the prior of St. Elian kidnapped last May, has been released
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette