ASIA/SYRIA - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - In Aleppo the presidential vote with which Assad seeks to perpetuate his power was held with the central districts subjected to intense missile launch and the whole city without water again. "For two days we have been without water" refers to Fides Agency the Armenian Catholic Archbishop Boutros Marayati, from the patriarchal residence which on Tuesday was hit by one of the missiles on the city. "It was a pretty powerful missile - said the Archbishop - which damaged the school and one wing of the building, breaking the doors and shattering many windows. Another missile, less powerful, fell on our school yesterday".
According to His Beatitude Marayati the launch of the missiles which intensified in recent days were aimed to counter the influx of voters to polling stations: "In the districts under the control of the army", said the Armenian Catholic Archbishop "all citizens are for various reasons siding with Assad. And many went to vote despite the missile launches".
According to official sources, Bashar al-Assad was elected President with 88,7% of the vote. According to the same sources 11.6 million Syrians participated in the vote on 3 June (defined as "a farce" by the opposition).
Of the two competing candidates, Hassan al-Nouri obtained 4.3% of the votes and Maher al- Hajjar 3.2%. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights - the organization close to the opposition based in London - gunfire shots exploded in Damascus and Aleppo to celebrate Assad’s victory, which killed at least 3 people and 20 were injured. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?