ASIA/SYRIA - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - In Aleppo the presidential vote with which Assad seeks to perpetuate his power was held with the central districts subjected to intense missile launch and the whole city without water again. "For two days we have been without water" refers to Fides Agency the Armenian Catholic Archbishop Boutros Marayati, from the patriarchal residence which on Tuesday was hit by one of the missiles on the city. "It was a pretty powerful missile - said the Archbishop - which damaged the school and one wing of the building, breaking the doors and shattering many windows. Another missile, less powerful, fell on our school yesterday".
According to His Beatitude Marayati the launch of the missiles which intensified in recent days were aimed to counter the influx of voters to polling stations: "In the districts under the control of the army", said the Armenian Catholic Archbishop "all citizens are for various reasons siding with Assad. And many went to vote despite the missile launches".
According to official sources, Bashar al-Assad was elected President with 88,7% of the vote. According to the same sources 11.6 million Syrians participated in the vote on 3 June (defined as "a farce" by the opposition).
Of the two competing candidates, Hassan al-Nouri obtained 4.3% of the votes and Maher al- Hajjar 3.2%. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights - the organization close to the opposition based in London - gunfire shots exploded in Damascus and Aleppo to celebrate Assad’s victory, which killed at least 3 people and 20 were injured. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/06/2014)
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus