AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega, has not yet responded to the questions posed by the Catholic Church in the meeting held on 21 May (see Fides 22/05/2014): this was reported yesterday by His Exc. Mgr. Juan Abelardo Mata Guevara, S.D.B., Bishop of Esteli (Nicaragua). When asked about the fruits of the dialogue between the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) and the Sandinista leader, Mgr. Mata said: "On the fundamental issue that affects the country, there has been no response yet".
The note sent to Fides by a local source, reports that for Mgr. Mata Guevara, of the six points presented by CEN to President Ortega on May 21, there are two which are considered the most important: "the appeal to national dialogue and the guarantee of transparent national elections". "We think he is reflecting and we hope for the best", said Mgr. Mata.
The Bishops of Nicaragua have been united and critical with Ortega ever since he took office, on January 10, 2007, particularly on the issue of the presidential election, that they openly reject. For this reason, the relationship between the government of President Ortega and the Catholic Church of Nicaragua is good but very distant. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/06/2014)
- 2015-10-12 - The Church ready to mediate in the mine issue, "no one has to die for this"
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved