AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega, has not yet responded to the questions posed by the Catholic Church in the meeting held on 21 May (see Fides 22/05/2014): this was reported yesterday by His Exc. Mgr. Juan Abelardo Mata Guevara, S.D.B., Bishop of Esteli (Nicaragua). When asked about the fruits of the dialogue between the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) and the Sandinista leader, Mgr. Mata said: "On the fundamental issue that affects the country, there has been no response yet".
The note sent to Fides by a local source, reports that for Mgr. Mata Guevara, of the six points presented by CEN to President Ortega on May 21, there are two which are considered the most important: "the appeal to national dialogue and the guarantee of transparent national elections". "We think he is reflecting and we hope for the best", said Mgr. Mata.
The Bishops of Nicaragua have been united and critical with Ortega ever since he took office, on January 10, 2007, particularly on the issue of the presidential election, that they openly reject. For this reason, the relationship between the government of President Ortega and the Catholic Church of Nicaragua is good but very distant. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/06/2014)
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
- 2014-03-20 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter