AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega, has not yet responded to the questions posed by the Catholic Church in the meeting held on 21 May (see Fides 22/05/2014): this was reported yesterday by His Exc. Mgr. Juan Abelardo Mata Guevara, S.D.B., Bishop of Esteli (Nicaragua). When asked about the fruits of the dialogue between the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) and the Sandinista leader, Mgr. Mata said: "On the fundamental issue that affects the country, there has been no response yet".
The note sent to Fides by a local source, reports that for Mgr. Mata Guevara, of the six points presented by CEN to President Ortega on May 21, there are two which are considered the most important: "the appeal to national dialogue and the guarantee of transparent national elections". "We think he is reflecting and we hope for the best", said Mgr. Mata.
The Bishops of Nicaragua have been united and critical with Ortega ever since he took office, on January 10, 2007, particularly on the issue of the presidential election, that they openly reject. For this reason, the relationship between the government of President Ortega and the Catholic Church of Nicaragua is good but very distant. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/06/2014)
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police