VATICAN - Death of Cardinal Lourdusamy, he was Secretary of Propaganda Fide and President of the PMS
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal D. Simon Lourdusamy, Prefect Emeritus of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches passed away last night in Rome. He was born in Kalleri, Archdiocese of Pondicherry and Cuddalore (India) on February 5, 1924 and was ordained a priest on December 21, 1951. After studying at "Loyola College" in Madras, he obtained his doctorate in Canon Law at Urbaniana university in Rome. After ordination he held several positions. On July 2, 1962 he was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Bangalore. On March 2, he was appointed Secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples. On February 24, 1973 he became Secretary of the same Congregation and President of the Pontifical Mission Societies, as well as Vice–Grand chancellor of the Pontifical Urbaniana University. He was appointed Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches on October 30, 1985, and created Cardinal by Pope John Paul II in the Consistory on 25 May 1985. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 02/06/2014)
- 2015-11-12 - Statement from the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples
- 2015-11-03 - Pope's appeal for Central Africa: "put an end to this cycle of violence"
- 2015-10-29 - Cardinal Filoni: Only peace will save the indigenous Christian communities in Mesopotamia
- 2015-10-28 - Appeal from the 5 continents: "The fight against climate change must respect the rights of the poor"
- 2015-10-28 - Urbaniana University: to form men and women capable of becoming bridges of relationships and instruments of mutual understanding
- 2015-10-16 - The Missionary Rosary for World Mission Day and the 50th anniversary of the "Ad Gentes" decree
- 2015-10-02 - Cardinal Filoni opens the formative year: "called to live the joy of the Gospel"
- 2015-10-01 - With the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, October, month of the missions begins
- 2015-09-15 - Cardinal Filoni on his visit: the enthusiasm of the Church in Bangladesh, the vivacity of the Church in India
- 2015-09-14 - The first blessed in South Africa: Benedict Daswa, family man, killed for the Gospel