VATICAN - Death of Cardinal Lourdusamy, he was Secretary of Propaganda Fide and President of the PMS
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal D. Simon Lourdusamy, Prefect Emeritus of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches passed away last night in Rome. He was born in Kalleri, Archdiocese of Pondicherry and Cuddalore (India) on February 5, 1924 and was ordained a priest on December 21, 1951. After studying at "Loyola College" in Madras, he obtained his doctorate in Canon Law at Urbaniana university in Rome. After ordination he held several positions. On July 2, 1962 he was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Bangalore. On March 2, he was appointed Secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples. On February 24, 1973 he became Secretary of the same Congregation and President of the Pontifical Mission Societies, as well as Vice–Grand chancellor of the Pontifical Urbaniana University. He was appointed Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches on October 30, 1985, and created Cardinal by Pope John Paul II in the Consistory on 25 May 1985. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 02/06/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - General Assembly of the Pontifical Mission Societies: "How to support the universal mission today and tomorrow"
- 2015-05-25 - The Pope's Message for World Mission Day 2015
- 2015-05-21 - The Pope recalls the Day of Prayer for the Church in China on May 24
- 2015-05-18 - Archbishop Romero will be the patron of Caritas Internationalis
- 2015-05-04 - Cardinal Filoni ordains 14 deacons from Africa and Asia: "you must have a missionary heart"
- 2015-04-29 - For a "Christian commitment" in the fight against human trafficking
- 2015-04-13 - Jubilee of Mercy: "This is a time for the Church to rediscover the meaning of the mission entrusted to her by the Lord"
- 2015-04-09 - Cardinal Filoni: Iraqi families all expect to be able to return to their homes, and we are ready to help them start over
- 2015-04-08 - Easter 2015: "Our brothers and sisters are persecuted, exiled, killed and beheaded simply because they are Christians, they are our martyrs of today"
- 2015-03-30 - The Pope: "We think of our brothers and sisters who are persecuted because they are Christians, the martyrs of our own time"