VATICAN - Death of Cardinal Lourdusamy, he was Secretary of Propaganda Fide and President of the PMS
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal D. Simon Lourdusamy, Prefect Emeritus of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches passed away last night in Rome. He was born in Kalleri, Archdiocese of Pondicherry and Cuddalore (India) on February 5, 1924 and was ordained a priest on December 21, 1951. After studying at "Loyola College" in Madras, he obtained his doctorate in Canon Law at Urbaniana university in Rome. After ordination he held several positions. On July 2, 1962 he was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Bangalore. On March 2, he was appointed Secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples. On February 24, 1973 he became Secretary of the same Congregation and President of the Pontifical Mission Societies, as well as Vice–Grand chancellor of the Pontifical Urbaniana University. He was appointed Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches on October 30, 1985, and created Cardinal by Pope John Paul II in the Consistory on 25 May 1985. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 02/06/2014)
- 2014-10-30 - Pope's appeal: take all necessary measures to eradicate the Ebola virus
- 2014-10-25 - WORLD MISSION DAY - CATHOLIC CHURCH STATISTICS 2014
- 2014-10-20 - Pope Paul VI, "a staunch supporter of the mission ad gentes"
- 2014-10-18 - VATICAN – Blessed Pope Paul VI: "The love for Missions is love for the Church, love for Christ!"
- 2014-10-13 - The memory of the missionaries, their examples, attract and inspire us to imitate their faith
- 2014-10-07 - First ever global campaign by the 160 Caritas national organisations: ending world hunger is their priority
- 2014-10-01 - The feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, Patroness of the Missions, opens the Mission Month
- 2014-09-24 - Pope's appeal to the countries of Africa affected by the ebola virus
- 2014-09-22 - Bishops, called to give "a genuine missionary impulse" to their diocesan communities
- 2014-09-13 - "Strong families are our best defense against poverty": meeting on the role of the family in the global economic crisis