AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Once again Catholic Bishops urge politicians to approve without delay immigration reform
Washington (Agenzia Fides) – The same group of American Catholic Bishops who went on April 1st this year to the border between Arizona and Mexico to commemorate more than six thousand people who lost their lives while attempting to enter the United States (see Fides 02/04/2014), is in Washington to advocate the immediate approval of immigration reforms for many years the subject of discussion between Republicans and Democrats. Yesterday, 29 May, after celebrating Mass at the nearby St. Peter's Catholic on Capitol Hill, mass attended also by a number of politicians, the Bishops went to Congress to meet legislators on both sides, including John Boehner Speaker of the House of Representatives.
This is not a question of politics, it is a matter of humanity journalists were told by Bishop Eusebio L. Elizondo Almaguer, M.Sp.S., Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle (Washington), born in Mexico, who is President of the Commission for Migration of the United States Catholic Bishops’ Conference (USCCB). Bishop Elizondo stressed the need to increase awareness, and to "never be resigned", after recalling that every day more and more families are divided because of acts of deportation .
A report sent to Fides quotes Archbishop Thomas Gerard Wenski, of Miami, the situation cannot be tolerated because it is a matter of moral principles; precisely because it concerns a question of morals, it needs to be reformed. On 27 June 2013 the US Senate approved the Bill of law S. 744 to guarantee US citizenship to undocumented immigrants who arrived in the United States before 31 December 2011 and who have no criminal record. However, due to disagreement between Democrats and Republicans, the Chamber has yet to set a date for its discussion in view of final approval. (see Fides 13/05/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 30/05/2014)
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away
- 2015-03-20 - Bishops of the diocese on the border: enough with violence and more attention towards the youth
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"