ASIA/VIETNAM - Tensions with China: the faithful pray for justice and peace
Hanoi (Agenzia Fides) - More than 2,000 faithful Catholics gathered for a prayer vigil and Mass with the intention of praying intensely for justice and peace, while between China and Vietnam, tension remains high because of the disputed Parcels islands, in the South China Sea: is what happened on Sunday, May 25 in Hanoi. The solemn prayer was led by Fr. John Nguyen Ngoc Nam Phong, within the monastery complex of the religious in Hanoi. It was a prayer to invoke the spirit of peace and to ask God to enlighten the political leaders "so that they wisely choose the way to lead the Vietnamese people towards peace and development".
The assembly turned a special prayer to God for the future of the nation so that it can be free from pain, grief, war, and be prosperous and peaceful. The justice that engenders peace is founded on truth: this is why those present in the parish courtyard lit a candle to symbolize the desire for justice and peace.
Given the continuing tension between China and Vietnam, on Sunday, May 25, prayer vigils for peace were held in many churches in Vietnam. Some meetings involved the faithful of all religions, committed to sharing the desire for peace. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 27/05/2014)
- 2015-03-27 - The first house of formation of the Guanellian’s has been inaugurated
- 2015-03-11 - UN report: positive developments but still restrictions on religious freedom
- 2015-02-05 - Vietnamese NGO Report on human rights and religious freedom
- 2014-11-19 - Attacks and arrests in a Mennonite Christian Center
- 2014-10-31 - Catholics in Hanoi demand the return of a land that belongs to the Church
- 2014-10-20 - The Archbishop of Ho Chi Minh city: prayer and hope for the Vatican-Vietnam diplomatic ties
- 2014-09-23 - Family, cradle of faith and of Christian witness
- 2014-09-12 - Land is a source of livelihood for 14% of the indigenous people living in the Country
- 2014-08-01 - The UN Special Rapporteur: "Serious violations of religious freedom"
- 2014-07-22 - "UN expert on religious freedom will visit Viet Nam to assess the situation in the country"