AMERICA/PERU - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Chimbote, His Exc. Mgr. Ángel Francisco Simón Piorno, was deeply shocked to learn that some media defined him belonging to the criminal organization that operates in the area of the region of Ancash, an organization that seems to be led by the regional president, César Álvarez Aguilar. "This is a disgrace! Apparently I am the most affected in Ancash, not only by corruption, but also by national media who want to link me to corruption", said Mgr. Simon Piorno in a video sent to Fides Agency by RPP (Radio Programs of Peru). The Bishop described the media linking him to the crime network without asking his version as "junk".
According to information gathered by Fides, in 2006 the Bishop of Chimbote (like all the authorities in the area) had requested in a letter to the President of the Council of Ministers of the government of Alan García, Javier Velásquez, to start a special Chinecas project, a mega irrigation project in the area, which was then stopped by the corruption of those responsible.
Mgr. Simón Piorno was recently forced to take special security measures following his denunciation regarding the wave of crime that reached high levels in the city of Chimbote (see Fides 21/03/2014).
The Bishop himself had denounced violence in the streets of the city, where the number of murders was the highest in the country, and led a march for peace (see Fides 15/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/05/2014)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking