AMERICA/PERU - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Chimbote, His Exc. Mgr. Ángel Francisco Simón Piorno, was deeply shocked to learn that some media defined him belonging to the criminal organization that operates in the area of the region of Ancash, an organization that seems to be led by the regional president, César Álvarez Aguilar. "This is a disgrace! Apparently I am the most affected in Ancash, not only by corruption, but also by national media who want to link me to corruption", said Mgr. Simon Piorno in a video sent to Fides Agency by RPP (Radio Programs of Peru). The Bishop described the media linking him to the crime network without asking his version as "junk".
According to information gathered by Fides, in 2006 the Bishop of Chimbote (like all the authorities in the area) had requested in a letter to the President of the Council of Ministers of the government of Alan García, Javier Velásquez, to start a special Chinecas project, a mega irrigation project in the area, which was then stopped by the corruption of those responsible.
Mgr. Simón Piorno was recently forced to take special security measures following his denunciation regarding the wave of crime that reached high levels in the city of Chimbote (see Fides 21/03/2014).
The Bishop himself had denounced violence in the streets of the city, where the number of murders was the highest in the country, and led a march for peace (see Fides 15/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/05/2014)
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas