AMERICA/PERU - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Chimbote, His Exc. Mgr. Ángel Francisco Simón Piorno, was deeply shocked to learn that some media defined him belonging to the criminal organization that operates in the area of the region of Ancash, an organization that seems to be led by the regional president, César Álvarez Aguilar. "This is a disgrace! Apparently I am the most affected in Ancash, not only by corruption, but also by national media who want to link me to corruption", said Mgr. Simon Piorno in a video sent to Fides Agency by RPP (Radio Programs of Peru). The Bishop described the media linking him to the crime network without asking his version as "junk".
According to information gathered by Fides, in 2006 the Bishop of Chimbote (like all the authorities in the area) had requested in a letter to the President of the Council of Ministers of the government of Alan García, Javier Velásquez, to start a special Chinecas project, a mega irrigation project in the area, which was then stopped by the corruption of those responsible.
Mgr. Simón Piorno was recently forced to take special security measures following his denunciation regarding the wave of crime that reached high levels in the city of Chimbote (see Fides 21/03/2014).
The Bishop himself had denounced violence in the streets of the city, where the number of murders was the highest in the country, and led a march for peace (see Fides 15/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/05/2014)
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers