AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
Chaco (Agenzia Fides) - The isolation and abandonment in which state authorities have long since left the population of the Apostolic Vicariate of Chaco Paraguay, Paraguay, was strongly denounced by the Apostolic Vicar, His Exc. Mgr. Gabriel Narciso Escobar Ayala, SDB. The area in question is in the north of the country, near the border with Bolivia and Brazil. It has been raining non-stop for three days and the roads have been completely destroyed, leaving the population isolated.
"As a result of the lack of responsibility and commitment, we are isolated – the Bishop said to a local radio - . National authorities are responsible for this situation, because they have to ensure our people access to the capital and to be able to go to other cities without having major problems to return home".
The note sent to Fides Agency reports Mgr. Escobar Ayala’s complaint against local politicians, who despite holding positions in the area, spend most of their time in the capital. "Puerto Casado, Carmelo Peralta or Bahia Negra are large districts of Upper Paraguay that are used as a launching pad for politicians to get to money and fill their pockets", said the Apostolic Vicar.
Mgr. Escobar cited the problem of isolation experienced by populations due to the rains: in an area where the roads are in terrible condition. Recently, the situation has been further complicated by the fault of a plane that transported goods and people, and has not been repaired yet, making it impossible to access the area. "This is why we are making an appeal to the national authorities who are in the capital. We are also Paraguayans", said the Bishop. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/05/2014)
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected