AMERICA/ARGENTINA - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Cardinal Mario Aurelio Poli, presided yesterday, Sunday 25 May, the celebration of the Eucharist and the Te Deum of thanksgiving in the Metropolitan Cathedral, on the occasion of the national holiday of independence. The ceremony was attended by the President of Argentina, Cristina Kirchner and the Head of government of Buenos Aires, Mauricio Macri. The note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, stresses that the last time the President attended the Te Deum was 10 years ago, because did not agree with the words of the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, who on that occasion denounced the indifference of the authorities towards the real needs of the population.
"The only way forward for the development of peoples is that of the culture of meeting. The other has always something to offer me if I get close without prejudice", said Archbishop Poli in his homily. He then added: "today we either commit ourselves to dialogue and the culture of the meeting, or we lose everything, this is the fruitful path". Cardinal Pole, asked for an open, helpful attitude, and without prejudice, which he called "social humility", and concluded by saying that "the art of dialogue ensures a healthy vitality to our blessed democracy". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/05/2014)
- 2015-07-22 - "Bring Christ to families": hundreds of young people on a mission to Goya
- 2015-07-21 - "Mission, a way of life": towards the fourth National Meeting of Missionary Groups
- 2015-07-15 - Nearly 30 percent of Argentines live in a situation of poverty
- 2015-07-10 - The Archbishop of Tucuman denounces: laws that violate the rights and freedom of conscience, attacks against the Church, a climate of fear
- 2015-06-24 - Bishop of Jujuy: "We need the State’s strong support against drugs"
- 2015-06-18 - The first Congress on intercultural and interreligious dialogue
- 2015-06-12 - "We are concerned about the new poor", said Mgr. Ojea, head of Caritas
- 2015-06-11 - "In this America's Cup, and always, say no to trafficking": campaign against human trafficking
- 2015-05-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Child nutrition, drugs and poverty: meeting of Bishops and authorities of Buenos Aires
- 2015-05-26 - The Church's message for the National holiday: no to hatred, play politics with moral integrity