AMERICA/ARGENTINA - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Cardinal Mario Aurelio Poli, presided yesterday, Sunday 25 May, the celebration of the Eucharist and the Te Deum of thanksgiving in the Metropolitan Cathedral, on the occasion of the national holiday of independence. The ceremony was attended by the President of Argentina, Cristina Kirchner and the Head of government of Buenos Aires, Mauricio Macri. The note sent to Fides Agency by a local source, stresses that the last time the President attended the Te Deum was 10 years ago, because did not agree with the words of the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, who on that occasion denounced the indifference of the authorities towards the real needs of the population.
"The only way forward for the development of peoples is that of the culture of meeting. The other has always something to offer me if I get close without prejudice", said Archbishop Poli in his homily. He then added: "today we either commit ourselves to dialogue and the culture of the meeting, or we lose everything, this is the fruitful path". Cardinal Pole, asked for an open, helpful attitude, and without prejudice, which he called "social humility", and concluded by saying that "the art of dialogue ensures a healthy vitality to our blessed democracy". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/05/2014)
- 2015-02-17 - During Lent let us assess our spirit of mission: message from Archbishop Arancedo
- 2015-02-14 - Mgr. Buenanueva:"We need good quality citizens"
- 2015-02-12 - Mgr. Lozano denounces: deaths due to child malnutrition in the country
- 2015-01-22 - Nisman case: Bishops: "the people want the truth"
- 2015-01-15 - Divine Word Missionaries from Asia, Africa and Oceania work in Argentina
- 2015-01-09 - Tuberculosis and Chagas disease out of control in the Chaco
- 2014-12-23 - Church and government for the common good and peace of the country
- 2014-12-19 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Bishops: "Working together to build a more fraternal Country"
- 2014-12-17 - Church and government meet again
- 2014-12-11 - Drug and human trafficking: "There are people who have money stained with blood in their pocket"