AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
Chuquisaca (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops and the heads of the Social Pastoral-Caritas Bolivia have proposed dialogue meetings with the candidates of the upcoming general elections in October, in order to elaborate together some proposals for their government plans. The note sent to Fides by a local source reports that the initiative was announced by the Archbishop of Sucre, His Exc. Mgr. Jesus Juarez Parraga, S.D.B., during the presentation of the Final Declaration of the XIII Meeting of the National Conference of Bishops and Social pastoral leaders, who met in these past days in Yotala.
The proposal stems from the current political situation in the country, which leads to search for the most suitable way to contribute to the plans of the government. The Social Pastoral-Caritas in fact has a mandate to promote the participation of citizens and the strengthening of democracy in Bolivia.
The Bishops and the participants of the meeting also sent a letter to Pope Francis thanking him for his document Evangelii Gaudium, and for his continuous encouragement to engage in the challenges of the Church, which must be missionary, that is to say that men and women need to talk about their faith.
The general elections will be held on October 12. A few days ago the Supreme Electoral Court of Bolivia announced that three international organizations will participate in the consultation as observers (OEA, UNASUR, Uniore). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/05/2014)
- 2015-06-26 - The Pope will conclude the World Meeting of Social Movements
- 2015-05-27 - Radio and TV to announce the Gospel in the Vicariate of Nuflo de Chavez
- 2015-05-05 - Adoption campaign for children with disabilities
- 2015-04-30 - AMERICA/BOLIVIA – Linguistic Missionary Formation: a thorough preparation for the mission
- 2015-04-29 - The Church is also growing in the use of the media: new website of the Archdiocese of La Paz
- 2015-04-20 - New date for the V Eucharistic Congress: September 16 to 20
- 2015-04-17 - "Bolivia is not out of the global crisis"; Bishops fear repercussions on the poor and excluded
- 2015-04-14 - Representatives of the Commission for the inter-institutional relations of CAM 5 elected
- 2015-04-01 - Morales's party wins, but loses much political ground
- 2015-03-30 - Minors remain a forgotten Sector of the population