AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
Chuquisaca (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops and the heads of the Social Pastoral-Caritas Bolivia have proposed dialogue meetings with the candidates of the upcoming general elections in October, in order to elaborate together some proposals for their government plans. The note sent to Fides by a local source reports that the initiative was announced by the Archbishop of Sucre, His Exc. Mgr. Jesus Juarez Parraga, S.D.B., during the presentation of the Final Declaration of the XIII Meeting of the National Conference of Bishops and Social pastoral leaders, who met in these past days in Yotala.
The proposal stems from the current political situation in the country, which leads to search for the most suitable way to contribute to the plans of the government. The Social Pastoral-Caritas in fact has a mandate to promote the participation of citizens and the strengthening of democracy in Bolivia.
The Bishops and the participants of the meeting also sent a letter to Pope Francis thanking him for his document Evangelii Gaudium, and for his continuous encouragement to engage in the challenges of the Church, which must be missionary, that is to say that men and women need to talk about their faith.
The general elections will be held on October 12. A few days ago the Supreme Electoral Court of Bolivia announced that three international organizations will participate in the consultation as observers (OEA, UNASUR, Uniore). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/05/2014)
- 2015-01-23 - The phenomenon of children abandoned in the streets and violence increases
- 2015-01-05 - "Open your eyes and ears": warning of the church for the election campaign
- 2014-11-18 - Towards CAM 5: Bolivia presents a preliminary work plan
- 2014-11-17 - A project to spread Afro culture among children of Yungas communities
- 2014-11-12 - The Eucharist is necessary for fraternal communion and mission
- 2014-11-11 - The law on education must be applied without discrimination
- 2014-11-07 - Education, communication and drug trafficking: the Bishops prepare three pastoral Letters
- 2014-10-29 - Solidarity and concrete evangelization: meeting of diocesan Directors of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2014-10-24 - 50% of children who are born with Chagas' disease do not receive any medical care
- 2014-10-11 - Mission Month: schools in Sucre also go on missions