AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
Chuquisaca (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops and the heads of the Social Pastoral-Caritas Bolivia have proposed dialogue meetings with the candidates of the upcoming general elections in October, in order to elaborate together some proposals for their government plans. The note sent to Fides by a local source reports that the initiative was announced by the Archbishop of Sucre, His Exc. Mgr. Jesus Juarez Parraga, S.D.B., during the presentation of the Final Declaration of the XIII Meeting of the National Conference of Bishops and Social pastoral leaders, who met in these past days in Yotala.
The proposal stems from the current political situation in the country, which leads to search for the most suitable way to contribute to the plans of the government. The Social Pastoral-Caritas in fact has a mandate to promote the participation of citizens and the strengthening of democracy in Bolivia.
The Bishops and the participants of the meeting also sent a letter to Pope Francis thanking him for his document Evangelii Gaudium, and for his continuous encouragement to engage in the challenges of the Church, which must be missionary, that is to say that men and women need to talk about their faith.
The general elections will be held on October 12. A few days ago the Supreme Electoral Court of Bolivia announced that three international organizations will participate in the consultation as observers (OEA, UNASUR, Uniore). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/05/2014)
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace
- 2014-04-28 - Children sold for sexual and labor exploitation and for the sale of organs
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners
- 2014-03-29 - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
- 2014-03-27 - Bishops’ priorities: Indigenous and social pastoral, relaunch of the Permanent Mission
- 2014-03-17 - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying