AMERICA/BOLIVIA - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
Chuquisaca (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops and the heads of the Social Pastoral-Caritas Bolivia have proposed dialogue meetings with the candidates of the upcoming general elections in October, in order to elaborate together some proposals for their government plans. The note sent to Fides by a local source reports that the initiative was announced by the Archbishop of Sucre, His Exc. Mgr. Jesus Juarez Parraga, S.D.B., during the presentation of the Final Declaration of the XIII Meeting of the National Conference of Bishops and Social pastoral leaders, who met in these past days in Yotala.
The proposal stems from the current political situation in the country, which leads to search for the most suitable way to contribute to the plans of the government. The Social Pastoral-Caritas in fact has a mandate to promote the participation of citizens and the strengthening of democracy in Bolivia.
The Bishops and the participants of the meeting also sent a letter to Pope Francis thanking him for his document Evangelii Gaudium, and for his continuous encouragement to engage in the challenges of the Church, which must be missionary, that is to say that men and women need to talk about their faith.
The general elections will be held on October 12. A few days ago the Supreme Electoral Court of Bolivia announced that three international organizations will participate in the consultation as observers (OEA, UNASUR, Uniore). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/05/2014)
- 2015-11-20 - The Church strongly rejects the use of the image of the Pope for political activities
- 2015-11-13 - The Episcopal Conference: "We need and want a change"
- 2015-11-07 - The Pontifical Mission Societies in Bolivia towards the American Missionary Congress
- 2015-11-06 - 100th Assembly of the Episcopal Conference: V American Missionary Congress (CAM 5) is among the topics to be discussed
- 2015-10-15 - The Maryknoll Mission Center has been offering missionaries a valuable service for half a century
- 2015-10-12 - The Pope's message at the forum on climate: "Follow a fair and integral ecology"
- 2015-10-09 - Nuncio Diquattro representative of the Holy See at the World Conference on Climate Change
- 2015-09-17 - Intervention of Mgr. Scarpellini on the candidacy of Morales: "Alternation is an expression of democracy"
- 2015-08-19 - Heavy rains leave more than a thousand of families homeless
- 2015-08-17 - Prison conditions improve thanks to mediation by Pope Francis