AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Statement of the diocese: The boys did not launch grenades at the police
Tumaco (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Tumaco casts doubt on the version of the National Police, according to which on May 14, two boys (Pier Angelo Cabezas and Luis Sebastian Preciado) had launched a grenade at a group of police in the village of Chilví in Nariño (Colombia), killing themselves and injuring eight police officers (see Fides 19/05/2014 ) .
In the statement, sent to Fides Agency, the diocese cites information gathered in the community, including the boys’ teachers and parents, which "severely put into question the version given by the police", that the church authorities believed true. "They were boys known for their correct behavior, and were engaged in sports, music and theater. These and other circumstances, give rise to serious doubts that the boys are to blame ", said the statement.
The diocese also notes the victims’ mothers claim that the memory of their children will not be offended, and that is why the Office of the Attorney General has been asked to fully investigate the incident. From other sources of information, sent to Fides, it is noted that the statements of the Diocese of Tumaco coincide with those of the FARC, that through the internet informed of not using the boys to launch the explosive against the military. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2014)
AMERICA/COLOMBIA – STATEMENT OF THE DIOCESE: THE BOYS DID NOT LAUNCH GRENADES AT THE POLICE
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation