AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Statement of the diocese: The boys did not launch grenades at the police
Tumaco (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Tumaco casts doubt on the version of the National Police, according to which on May 14, two boys (Pier Angelo Cabezas and Luis Sebastian Preciado) had launched a grenade at a group of police in the village of Chilví in Nariño (Colombia), killing themselves and injuring eight police officers (see Fides 19/05/2014 ) .
In the statement, sent to Fides Agency, the diocese cites information gathered in the community, including the boys’ teachers and parents, which "severely put into question the version given by the police", that the church authorities believed true. "They were boys known for their correct behavior, and were engaged in sports, music and theater. These and other circumstances, give rise to serious doubts that the boys are to blame ", said the statement.
The diocese also notes the victims’ mothers claim that the memory of their children will not be offended, and that is why the Office of the Attorney General has been asked to fully investigate the incident. From other sources of information, sent to Fides, it is noted that the statements of the Diocese of Tumaco coincide with those of the FARC, that through the internet informed of not using the boys to launch the explosive against the military. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2014)
AMERICA/COLOMBIA – STATEMENT OF THE DIOCESE: THE BOYS DID NOT LAUNCH GRENADES AT THE POLICE
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez