AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Statement of the diocese: The boys did not launch grenades at the police
Tumaco (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Tumaco casts doubt on the version of the National Police, according to which on May 14, two boys (Pier Angelo Cabezas and Luis Sebastian Preciado) had launched a grenade at a group of police in the village of Chilví in Nariño (Colombia), killing themselves and injuring eight police officers (see Fides 19/05/2014 ) .
In the statement, sent to Fides Agency, the diocese cites information gathered in the community, including the boys’ teachers and parents, which "severely put into question the version given by the police", that the church authorities believed true. "They were boys known for their correct behavior, and were engaged in sports, music and theater. These and other circumstances, give rise to serious doubts that the boys are to blame ", said the statement.
The diocese also notes the victims’ mothers claim that the memory of their children will not be offended, and that is why the Office of the Attorney General has been asked to fully investigate the incident. From other sources of information, sent to Fides, it is noted that the statements of the Diocese of Tumaco coincide with those of the FARC, that through the internet informed of not using the boys to launch the explosive against the military. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2014)
- 2014-09-30 - Working with the indigenous open to inculturation: the commitment of the Apostolic Vicar of Mitu
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country