AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The kidnapping of the girls in Chibok has united the Country", said the Bishop of Sokoto
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - The abduction of about 200 students from the school in Chibok, in northern Nigeria, has joined the Country and caused a wave of international solidarity. This was stated by His Exc. Mgr. Mathew Hassan Kukah, Bishop of Sokoto, during the moment of prayer for the release of the kidnapped girls. "No single event has held our country together and elicited attention and sympathy the way this tragic incident has done" said the Bishop.
Emphasizing the power of prayer, Mgr. Kukah said that "we gather not in bitterness, hurt or in self-pity. We gather in faith and trust, believing that the one who sees all that is done in secret, will reward our long waiting. To gather in anger or bitterness would be to fall victim and enlist in the army of the devil. We are higher than that and our faith calls us to greater nobility".
While thanking the nations of the world that have offered to help save the girls, Mgr. Kukah called on Nigerian politicians to action: "those who govern us appreciate that we have a country to build? Will our politicians understand that we have a future to nurture? Will they realize that government is so serious that it should never be left in the hands of politicians?". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2014)
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released
- 2015-05-07 - Catholic priest Kidnapped
- 2015-04-29 - The Nigerian army have expressed joy for the release of hostages held by the Boko Haram Islamist sect and sorrow for the discovery of mass graves
- 2015-04-14 - Mgr. Kaigama: "It is worrying that we do not know anything about the Chibok girls one year after their kidnapping"
- 2015-04-14 - The Bishops in Ibadan: "We are concerned about the violation regarding the sanctity of life"
- 2015-04-08 - "Do not give in to the temptation of revenge", says the Bishop of Maiduguri to the displaced persons who have returned to their destroyed homes
- 2015-04-01 - Muhammadu Buhari elected President; Bishops invite to respect the result
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"