AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The kidnapping of the girls in Chibok has united the Country", said the Bishop of Sokoto
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - The abduction of about 200 students from the school in Chibok, in northern Nigeria, has joined the Country and caused a wave of international solidarity. This was stated by His Exc. Mgr. Mathew Hassan Kukah, Bishop of Sokoto, during the moment of prayer for the release of the kidnapped girls. "No single event has held our country together and elicited attention and sympathy the way this tragic incident has done" said the Bishop.
Emphasizing the power of prayer, Mgr. Kukah said that "we gather not in bitterness, hurt or in self-pity. We gather in faith and trust, believing that the one who sees all that is done in secret, will reward our long waiting. To gather in anger or bitterness would be to fall victim and enlist in the army of the devil. We are higher than that and our faith calls us to greater nobility".
While thanking the nations of the world that have offered to help save the girls, Mgr. Kukah called on Nigerian politicians to action: "those who govern us appreciate that we have a country to build? Will our politicians understand that we have a future to nurture? Will they realize that government is so serious that it should never be left in the hands of politicians?". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2014)
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-06 - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
- 2014-06-06 - "Boko Haram threatens the unity of the army", says Cardinal Onaiyekan to Fides
- 2014-05-28 - Boko Haram: For Cardinal Onaiyekan "It is not enough to condemn violence alone, but it is also necessary to condemn intollerant positions"
- 2014-05-23 - "The kidnapping of the girls in Chibok has united the Country", said the Bishop of Sokoto