AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Project for defeating forms of avoidable blindness affecting millions of Ethiopians
Milan (Agenzia Fides) - Trachoma is one of the most common visual disorders in Africa and, if not treated timely, leads to permanent blindness. Ethiopia is one of the African countries with the highest incidence of people with eye diseases. Out of a population of 75 million people, nearly 1 million Ethiopians are affected by blindness and 4 million are visually impaired. The populous Amhara region is the most affected by blindness. There are 300 million blind people due to trachoma, an infectious disease spread mainly among children. To try to limit the phenomenon, the Italian NGO CBM, whose purpose is to combat forms of avoidable blindness and physical and mental disabilities in developing countries, has decided to intensify the prevention and treatment of this infectious disease by continuing in the control Program and eradication of SAFE trachoma (Surgery - Antibiotics -Facial cleaning - Environmental change) in accordance with the World Health Organization.
On May 23, in Bahir Dar, CBM Italy along with ORDA Ethiopian partners, will inaugurate a new phase of the three-year project to combat trachoma in areas most in need: Dessie Zuria and Raya Kobo. In a statement sent to Fides Agency the Director of CBM Italy Onlus declares that "the goal, over the next three years, is to treat 3000 patients (1,800 with medical treatment, 1,200 with surgical operations), build about 110 wells and to ensure 22 thousand people access to drinking water". In a year CBM assists 41 million people in the poorest countries in the world. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2014)
- 2015-04-24 - The Bishops: "We plead to the human traffickers who are tricking the youth to leave their country through illegal means to stop their acts"
- 2015-04-14 - Easter resurrection and the birth of twins in one of the most forgotten areas in the world
- 2015-03-11 - A primary school for children in Hosanna
- 2015-02-24 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – First step for a representative of the Catholic Church at the African Union
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal-designate Souraphiel: "I will work for the Church so that it obtains the observer status in the African Union"
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country
- 2014-07-05 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Healthcare and mobile school services for nomad pastoralists
- 2014-06-27 - Poverty and hunger, the consequences of an unjust economic system