AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Three thousand children involved in drug trafficking: alarm of the local authorities
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Since the beginning of 2014, 3000 children and 37 000 adults have been involved in micro drug trafficking and have been arrested. According to estimates by the Colombian National Police, the phenomenon is especially prevalent in the public gardens and in the vicinity of schools. To try to limit this plague, the authorities have appealed to families and teachers in order to dismantle the structures dedicated to criminal exploitation of children and their involvement in drug trafficking. Police have offered a reward to those who provide information that can be traced back to criminal networks that exploit children and adolescents. To recruit them criminals pay families 300 000 pesos per month. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2014)
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"
- 2014-11-20 - Archbishop Monsalve Mejia: "The general kidnapped will soon be released"
- 2014-11-19 - Every hour two children are victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-11-18 - The Church condemns the abduction of the General and urges to continue peace talks
- 2014-11-17 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Peace talks have been suspended after general abducted
- 2014-11-13 - From victims of violence to the protagonists of peace
- 2014-11-12 - At least 19 countries around the world recruit child soldiers
- 2014-11-06 - "Cali is suffering a pandemic of violence", denounces Mgr. Monsalve Mejía
- 2014-10-29 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – There is a risk of an outbreak of Chikungunya and Dengue: 4,500 cases in the last two months
- 2014-10-29 - The Colombian dioceses ask to defend the rights of the indigenous peoples of the Pacific