AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Three thousand children involved in drug trafficking: alarm of the local authorities
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Since the beginning of 2014, 3000 children and 37 000 adults have been involved in micro drug trafficking and have been arrested. According to estimates by the Colombian National Police, the phenomenon is especially prevalent in the public gardens and in the vicinity of schools. To try to limit this plague, the authorities have appealed to families and teachers in order to dismantle the structures dedicated to criminal exploitation of children and their involvement in drug trafficking. Police have offered a reward to those who provide information that can be traced back to criminal networks that exploit children and adolescents. To recruit them criminals pay families 300 000 pesos per month. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2014)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors