AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) met yesterday afternoon, 21 May, in the Apostolic Nunciature, with the President of Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega, paving the way for dialogue between the Church and government. Among the participants there was also the Archbishop Emeritus of Managua, Cardinal Miguel Obando Bravo, while the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Fortunatus Nwachukwu, was the guest. President Ortega was accompanied by his wife, Rosario Murillo.
The Bishops gave the President a 14-page text, sent to Fides Agency, with the title "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua". The document is divided by themes: Family, the Social Problem, Human Rights, the case of the Apostolic Vicariate of Bluefields, Evangelization and respect for the institution.
"In this text we wanted to echo the concerns and hopes of the nation in a prophetic, purposeful way and with hope", reads the introduction.
"Although this document is explicitly addressed to the Government of the Republic, that welcomes it with great interest and respect, it is also addressed to all citizens of Nicaragua" continue the Bishops.
For each topic the reality is described and a solution from an ecclesial community point of view is suggested. The case of the Apostolic Vicariate of Bluefields is very complex: on the one hand there are the indigenous people who live in areas of the forest and part of the coast, on the other new "colonos", who arrive to exploit the natural resources of destroying the habitat of the first. "We need to avoid this clash of cultures", the Bishops said.
In its conclusions, the document states: "We cannot, nor do we want to replace the State; however, we cannot and we must not remain on the margins of history in the research and in the construction of a more just and peaceful society... The Church has no solutions for each single problem, but together with the various social forces, it accompanies the proposals that best meet the dignity of the human person and the common good". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2014)
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness