AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) met yesterday afternoon, 21 May, in the Apostolic Nunciature, with the President of Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega, paving the way for dialogue between the Church and government. Among the participants there was also the Archbishop Emeritus of Managua, Cardinal Miguel Obando Bravo, while the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Fortunatus Nwachukwu, was the guest. President Ortega was accompanied by his wife, Rosario Murillo.
The Bishops gave the President a 14-page text, sent to Fides Agency, with the title "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua". The document is divided by themes: Family, the Social Problem, Human Rights, the case of the Apostolic Vicariate of Bluefields, Evangelization and respect for the institution.
"In this text we wanted to echo the concerns and hopes of the nation in a prophetic, purposeful way and with hope", reads the introduction.
"Although this document is explicitly addressed to the Government of the Republic, that welcomes it with great interest and respect, it is also addressed to all citizens of Nicaragua" continue the Bishops.
For each topic the reality is described and a solution from an ecclesial community point of view is suggested. The case of the Apostolic Vicariate of Bluefields is very complex: on the one hand there are the indigenous people who live in areas of the forest and part of the coast, on the other new "colonos", who arrive to exploit the natural resources of destroying the habitat of the first. "We need to avoid this clash of cultures", the Bishops said.
In its conclusions, the document states: "We cannot, nor do we want to replace the State; however, we cannot and we must not remain on the margins of history in the research and in the construction of a more just and peaceful society... The Church has no solutions for each single problem, but together with the various social forces, it accompanies the proposals that best meet the dignity of the human person and the common good". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2014)
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops