ASIA/IRAQ - National elections: Premier al-Maliki prevails, 5 seats reserved for Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The official results of the Iraqi national elections held on 30 April, issued in recent days by the Independent Electoral Commission, have also made public the assignment of 5 parliamentary seats that the electoral law in force reserves to candidates of Christian faith. The National Rafidain List, the electoral symbol of the Assyrian Democratic Movement (popularly known as Zowaa) gained two seats in the electoral districts of Baghdad and Kirkuk, while the list of the Chaldean Siriac Assyrian Popular Council has prevailed in the seats reserved for Christians in the city of Nineveh and Erbil. The seat reserved for Christians in the city of Dahuk was achieved by Azad Hurmuz, a Christian candidate in a Communist list.
Political activists linked to the Christian communities in Iraq once again presented themselves in random order to the electoral appointment on April 30, they were at least 9 small lists, inspired by Christian activists (Chaldeans, Syriacs, Assyrians). Now the 328 members of the new Parliament will have to elect the President and the Prime Minister of Iraq, in compliance of the system which reserves the presidential office to a Kurd and Prime Minister to a Shiite. "In the elections – says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Saad Sirop Hanna, Chaldean Auxiliary Bishop of Baghdad - the 'Rule of Law' Alliance which supports Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has won, but obtained 93 seats and thus did not obtain an absolute majority. To form a government, a coalition agreement with other parties will have to be carried out. We hope the way to ensure political stability to the country will soon be found". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2014)
- 2015-11-20 - Christian and Muslim leaders in Kurdistan celebrate together the "day of tolerance"
- 2015-11-13 - A kindergarten, a language and professional training center for the displaced
- 2015-11-11 - Large participation in the protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-09 - Chaldean Patriarch convenes a protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-05 - Even Christians demonstrate in Erbil against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-10-28 - Parliament rejected the request to change the law on the religious affiliation regarding children
- 2015-10-23 - 400 young Christians take part in Kirkuk Youth Day
- 2015-10-10 - Christians in Erbil protest against corruption, "our neighborhoods are being filled with infamous clubs"
- 2015-10-09 - Two Iraqi sisters go and live among the Christian refugees camped in Erbil
- 2015-10-06 - Iraqi Ministry of Justice: Christian property will be protected