ASIA/IRAQ - National elections: Premier al-Maliki prevails, 5 seats reserved for Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The official results of the Iraqi national elections held on 30 April, issued in recent days by the Independent Electoral Commission, have also made public the assignment of 5 parliamentary seats that the electoral law in force reserves to candidates of Christian faith. The National Rafidain List, the electoral symbol of the Assyrian Democratic Movement (popularly known as Zowaa) gained two seats in the electoral districts of Baghdad and Kirkuk, while the list of the Chaldean Siriac Assyrian Popular Council has prevailed in the seats reserved for Christians in the city of Nineveh and Erbil. The seat reserved for Christians in the city of Dahuk was achieved by Azad Hurmuz, a Christian candidate in a Communist list.
Political activists linked to the Christian communities in Iraq once again presented themselves in random order to the electoral appointment on April 30, they were at least 9 small lists, inspired by Christian activists (Chaldeans, Syriacs, Assyrians). Now the 328 members of the new Parliament will have to elect the President and the Prime Minister of Iraq, in compliance of the system which reserves the presidential office to a Kurd and Prime Minister to a Shiite. "In the elections – says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Saad Sirop Hanna, Chaldean Auxiliary Bishop of Baghdad - the 'Rule of Law' Alliance which supports Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has won, but obtained 93 seats and thus did not obtain an absolute majority. To form a government, a coalition agreement with other parties will have to be carried out. We hope the way to ensure political stability to the country will soon be found". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2014)
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"