AFRICA/LIBYA - "There are presuppositions for a Civil War, but the people want peace", said Mgr. Martinelli
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - "No shooting, but the situation remains tense, because it is not clear what lies beneath and what the various militias want to do", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, after the violent fighting on Sunday, May 18th for the control of the Libyan Parliament, preceded by heavy fighting in the east of the Country.
"I hope there is no civil war. Libya is experiencing a particular moment. I have never found myself in such a critical situation. We hope common sense prevails. My hope derives from the prayer and the fact that people want peace", said Mgr. Martinelli.
"After heavy fighting last Sunday - says the Apostolic Vicar - it seemed that the following day nothing had happened: the people from Tripoli were in cafeterias as if nothing had happened. I am amazed at how the population is able to quickly go from a situation of war to one of peace. I think it is because people yearn for peace, they need it after all these years of uncertainty". "This is why I say: pray for us, because the only force is that of prayer that moves the hearts of people", concluded Mgr. Martinelli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/05/2014)
- 2015-09-14 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Turning point in the Libyan negotiations? "We hope this is the right moment" hopes Mgr. Martinelli
- 2015-07-20 - Three African Christians kidnapped by jihadis in the south of Sirte; four Italians kidnapped in Mellitah
- 2015-03-25 - The Islamic State claim new attacks
- 2015-03-23 - After two days of bombing, the situation is calm in Tripoli
- 2015-03-05 - The Islamic State takes advantage of the power vacuum
- 2015-02-17 - “Filipinos are the only ones who remain to serve the growing medical needs of our people” says Bishop Martinelli
- 2015-01-28 - Assault on Tripoli: the shadow of the Islamic State on the shores of the Mediterranean
- 2015-01-13 - Copts kidnapped: jihadist websites spread photos
- 2014-12-19 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Foreign staff on the run from a looted hospital; health care system collapsing
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Not only local militia, also foreign interests clash in Libya