AFRICA/LIBYA - "There are presuppositions for a Civil War, but the people want peace", said Mgr. Martinelli
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - "No shooting, but the situation remains tense, because it is not clear what lies beneath and what the various militias want to do", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, after the violent fighting on Sunday, May 18th for the control of the Libyan Parliament, preceded by heavy fighting in the east of the Country.
"I hope there is no civil war. Libya is experiencing a particular moment. I have never found myself in such a critical situation. We hope common sense prevails. My hope derives from the prayer and the fact that people want peace", said Mgr. Martinelli.
"After heavy fighting last Sunday - says the Apostolic Vicar - it seemed that the following day nothing had happened: the people from Tripoli were in cafeterias as if nothing had happened. I am amazed at how the population is able to quickly go from a situation of war to one of peace. I think it is because people yearn for peace, they need it after all these years of uncertainty". "This is why I say: pray for us, because the only force is that of prayer that moves the hearts of people", concluded Mgr. Martinelli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/05/2014)
- 2014-10-24 - Despite the clashes in Benghazi markets are well stocked
- 2014-10-20 - Elements of the Islamic State and Boko Haram are in Libya, says the Prime Minister
- 2014-10-16 - "Bombing continues, with less intensity", says the Apostolic Vicar of Benghazi
- 2014-10-15 - "The population is locked in the house, fighting continues on the outskirts of Benghazi", says the Apostolic Vicar
- 2014-09-25 - Not only in Syria and Iraq, air raids also continue in Libya
- 2014-09-11 - Ethnic groups and oil in the Libyan civil war
- 2014-09-01 - “We no longer hear bomb explosions, the situation would seem calmer” says Bishop Martinelli
- 2014-08-04 - "Even if only one Christian remains I will stay here", says the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli
- 2014-07-14 - Worrying situation in Tripoli after clashes at the airport
- 2014-05-21 - "NATO office in Tripoli has been hit" says Mgr. Martinelli to Fides