AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Bishop of Tumaco: "here the State has not existed for years, childhood is abandoned to its fate"
Tumaco (Agenzia Fides) - "In Tumaco children are taken away by the FARC and criminal gangs, they are simply taken away for their war": is the complaint by His Exc. Mgr. Gustavo Giron Higuita, OCD, Bishop of Tumaco, who points out that the Colombian State has long left childhood "to its fate" or rather has delivered childhood to "the strongest and to the law of the jungle".
According to information sent to Fides Agency from a local source, the Bishop expressed himself in these terms commenting on the attack that took place on May 14 in Tumaco: a 14-year-old teenager died while throwing a grenade with explosives against a group of police. A 12-year-old boy died, too and seven police officers were injured. Colonel Hugo Márquez, commander of the Police in Nariño, attributed the criminal fact to a group belonging to the FARC, but could also be attributed to criminal gangs.
For the Bishop, in the city of Tumaco alone, with approximately 150 thousand inhabitants, the children recruited by criminal groups are at least 50, maybe even 60. This is why, according to Archbishop Gustavo Giron Higuita, "childhood years have been abandoned here and elsewhere. There are not enough schools, no health care, no jobs, no services. In short, there is no State and therefore it is very easy for any group to approach children and take them away, where they want". Mgr. Giron Higuita also stated that "most of the children that are taken away are orphans". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/05/2014)
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus