AMERICA/HAITI - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides) - Haitian President Michel Martelly celebrated his third year of the presidential office on May 14 by listing a series of successes in front of hundreds of supporters, while the opposition demonstrated through the streets of the capital demanding his resignation. Martelly spoke in the park adjacent to the destroyed National Palace, in Port -au-Prince, praising his "three years of undeniable progress" for the people of Haiti.
Surrounded by his main collaborators, led by the Prime Minister, Laurent Lamothe, the President stressed the boost given to the talks that led to the political agreements signed last March between his government and opposition groups, with the mediation of the Catholic Church, in the person of Cardinal Langlois (see Fides 06/03/2014 ).
"I am a President who condemns violence", said Martelly in front of groups shouting slogans in his favor. A few moments before, several hundred protesters had taken the streets of Port-au-Prince to demand Martelly’s resignation, accusing him of being "corrupt". There were clashes with the police who prevented them from approaching the place where the President was speaking. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2014)
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation
- 2014-05-16 - A center to transform cassava into flour and cope with food insecurity
- 2014-05-08 - Brotherhood and solidarity respond to those who promote hatred between Haitians and Dominicans
- 2014-04-29 - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis
- 2014-03-17 - Elections on October 26, the President thanks the Church for the mediation
- 2014-03-14 - Dialogue to conclude the agreement in the country has started again