ASIA/JORDAN - The relatives of the martyr, Archbishop Rahho write to the Pope on the eve of his pilgrimage to the Holy Land
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - "Your Holiness, your tears on the memory of Christian martyrs give us as children of the Catholic Church also the strength to endure hardship and go towards others with faith and love for all. As the Lord said, love your enemies". This is what Dr. Ghazi Ibrahim Rahho wrote in a letter to Pope Francis from Amman on behalf of His Excellency Boulos Faraj Rahho’s family, the Chaldean Archbishop of Mosul kidnapped and killed in 2008 after 12 days of torture (see Fides 3/3/2008; 13/3/2008; 14/3/2008; 17/3/2008; 10/4/2008; 12/4/2008; 20/6/2008).
In the letter, which was sent to Fides Agency, the Iraqi Archbishop’s relatives turn to the Pope ahead of his upcoming visit to Jordan, thanking him for his enlightening words that express the gaze of the Christian faith on the stories of martyrdom and persecution: "Archbishop Rahho" reads the letter "gave testimony of the word of the Lord, despite his suffering". The Archbishop’s relatives say they had to leave Iraq after his assassination, finding refuge in Jordan, which is defined as "the country of coexistence between Christians and Muslims". They also express the hope that Archbishop Rahho will one day be counted "among the Martyr Saints for the Word of God". "Despite our exodus from Iraq", stresses Dr. Ghazi Rahho on behalf of his relatives, "we will remain, however, in the East, which is our homeland. We will remain here even at the cost of sacrifices and realities that oppress us, because we feel that the Lord accompanies us and we see that the saints rejoice when they bear all in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 15/05/2014)
- 2014-06-26 - Caritas distributes aid to poor Muslim families before the start of Ramadan
- 2014-06-24 - A thousand children born in the refugee camp in Zaatari. The director of Caritas: we give them a future
- 2014-05-21 - Syrian refugees await Pope Francis. The director of Caritas Jordan: they hope that the world will remember them
- 2014-05-19 - 1,400 children to receive first communion at Pope-led mass at the Amman Stadium
- 2014-05-15 - The relatives of the martyr, Archbishop Rahho write to the Pope on the eve of his pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 2014-05-03 - A special prayer for the Pope's pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 2014-04-14 - The director of Caritas: among the refugees, the number of Christians increases
- 2014-03-29 - ASIA/JORDAN – The parish of Zarqa is the first to acquire a "solar energy system"
- 2014-02-27 - Tension with Israel over Holy Places, Archbishop Lahham: enough defiant acts
- 2013-12-12 - The Syrian refugees in the grip of cold weather and snow