ASIA/JORDAN - The relatives of the martyr, Archbishop Rahho write to the Pope on the eve of his pilgrimage to the Holy Land
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - "Your Holiness, your tears on the memory of Christian martyrs give us as children of the Catholic Church also the strength to endure hardship and go towards others with faith and love for all. As the Lord said, love your enemies". This is what Dr. Ghazi Ibrahim Rahho wrote in a letter to Pope Francis from Amman on behalf of His Excellency Boulos Faraj Rahho’s family, the Chaldean Archbishop of Mosul kidnapped and killed in 2008 after 12 days of torture (see Fides 3/3/2008; 13/3/2008; 14/3/2008; 17/3/2008; 10/4/2008; 12/4/2008; 20/6/2008).
In the letter, which was sent to Fides Agency, the Iraqi Archbishop’s relatives turn to the Pope ahead of his upcoming visit to Jordan, thanking him for his enlightening words that express the gaze of the Christian faith on the stories of martyrdom and persecution: "Archbishop Rahho" reads the letter "gave testimony of the word of the Lord, despite his suffering". The Archbishop’s relatives say they had to leave Iraq after his assassination, finding refuge in Jordan, which is defined as "the country of coexistence between Christians and Muslims". They also express the hope that Archbishop Rahho will one day be counted "among the Martyr Saints for the Word of God". "Despite our exodus from Iraq", stresses Dr. Ghazi Rahho on behalf of his relatives, "we will remain, however, in the East, which is our homeland. We will remain here even at the cost of sacrifices and realities that oppress us, because we feel that the Lord accompanies us and we see that the saints rejoice when they bear all in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 15/05/2014)
- 2015-02-10 - CCSM denounces offensive drawings of Lord Jesus Christ on hookahs
- 2015-02-04 - Today masses and prayers in churches for the pilot burned alive by jihadists
- 2015-02-03 - Jordanian Minister: satirical cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad have nothing to do with Christianity
- 2015-01-22 - King Abdullah II praises the Pope: religions must not offended
- 2015-01-05 - Christian Schools welcome the Iraqis children who fled from Mosul and Nineveh Plain
- 2015-01-02 - The Grand Mufti of Jordan: the pronouncement of the "Fatwa" is reserved for authorized experts
- 2014-12-16 - More than 7,000 Christian refugees from Iraq; Caritas Jordan: "in two months we will not have anymore resources to assist them"
- 2014-12-03 - Caritas Jordan in Salt launches ”Winter Campaign”
- 2014-11-24 - Conference on Christians and "Arab Springs". Father Bader: a historical phase which was followed only by negative effects
- 2014-10-30 - King Abdullah II to Armenian President: Christians helped to build the Arab civilization