AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Nicaragua invite Nicaraguans to pray for the next Church-Government meeting, which will take place on May 21, an opportunity to open a dialogue with President Daniel Ortega Saavedra (see Fides 09/05/2014). The document of the Episcopal Conference (CEN) calls on Catholics to dedicate three days of prayer for this event. The note sent to Fides also reports that the headquarters of the Apostolic Nunciature in Nicaragua will be the place of dialogue. The Bishops met on the eve of the feast of Our Lady of Fatima, May 12, at the Seminary of Managua dedicated to her, to discuss some of the topics that will be the focus of the dialogue. Archbishop Fortunatus Nwachukwu, Apostolic Nuncio was also present. May 21 will be the first dialogue between the Church-government since the current president and secretary general of the FSLN (Sandinista National Liberation Front), Daniel Ortega Saavedra was re-elected (with the 2007 elections). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez