AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Nicaragua invite Nicaraguans to pray for the next Church-Government meeting, which will take place on May 21, an opportunity to open a dialogue with President Daniel Ortega Saavedra (see Fides 09/05/2014). The document of the Episcopal Conference (CEN) calls on Catholics to dedicate three days of prayer for this event. The note sent to Fides also reports that the headquarters of the Apostolic Nunciature in Nicaragua will be the place of dialogue. The Bishops met on the eve of the feast of Our Lady of Fatima, May 12, at the Seminary of Managua dedicated to her, to discuss some of the topics that will be the focus of the dialogue. Archbishop Fortunatus Nwachukwu, Apostolic Nuncio was also present. May 21 will be the first dialogue between the Church-government since the current president and secretary general of the FSLN (Sandinista National Liberation Front), Daniel Ortega Saavedra was re-elected (with the 2007 elections). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out