AFRICA/NIGERIA - Adoration and prayers in all churches for the kidnapped girls
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - The Church of Nigeria is following with special attention and participation the case of the nearly 300 girls kidnapped by a terrorist group in Nigeria. "In the last two Sundays, at the end of every Mass, we prayed so that the girls can embrace their families soon", says Fr. Patrick Tor Alumuku, Director of Communications of the Archdiocese of Abuja. "On Sunday, May 11, in every parish and every church in Nigeria an hour of adoration to pray for the release of the girls was held - continues Fr. Patrick - while Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja, has multiplied the appeals in their favor".
Several States have offered their assistance to the Nigerian authorities to free the students in the hands of Boko Haram, the Islamist sect which has asked for the release of several of its member inmates in Nigerian prisons in exchange for the girls. Fr. Patrick concludes on a note of cautious optimism: "We hope that this matter can be successfully concluded in coming days". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
- 2015-02-26 - "Family threatened by materialism and selfishness", say the Bishops
- 2015-02-09 - "We hope that the postponement of the election was made with good intentions", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-02-05 - "If Maiduguri falls into the hands of Boko Haram, it would be a disaster for Africa as a continent"
- 2015-01-26 - The Bishop of Maiduguri: "Boko Haram could conquer the entire north-east before the end of the election"
- 2015-01-23 - The Bishops: "too many politicians resort to slander and incite violence" during the election campaign
- 2015-01-16 - Malnutrition, trauma, violence: urgent medical assistance to the survivors of the attack committed by Boko Haram
- 2015-01-12 - "Future hope for a major demonstration to take place just like the one in Paris to say no to Boko Haram" proposes Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-01-09 - New violence committed by Boko Haram: perhaps 2,000 dead, several churches burned
- 2015-01-08 - Boko Haram is now a regional problem
- 2014-12-29 - The IDPs in Maiduguri celebrate Christmas among hope and fears of suicide bombs