AFRICA/NIGERIA - Adoration and prayers in all churches for the kidnapped girls
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - The Church of Nigeria is following with special attention and participation the case of the nearly 300 girls kidnapped by a terrorist group in Nigeria. "In the last two Sundays, at the end of every Mass, we prayed so that the girls can embrace their families soon", says Fr. Patrick Tor Alumuku, Director of Communications of the Archdiocese of Abuja. "On Sunday, May 11, in every parish and every church in Nigeria an hour of adoration to pray for the release of the girls was held - continues Fr. Patrick - while Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja, has multiplied the appeals in their favor".
Several States have offered their assistance to the Nigerian authorities to free the students in the hands of Boko Haram, the Islamist sect which has asked for the release of several of its member inmates in Nigerian prisons in exchange for the girls. Fr. Patrick concludes on a note of cautious optimism: "We hope that this matter can be successfully concluded in coming days". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - "Ill-gotten wealth from oil bunkering could be used to destabilize", said the Bishop of Umuahia
- 2014-08-19 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – "It is worrying to see Boko Haram trying to conquer territories", said the Archbishop of Lagos
- 2014-08-06 - New attacks against Catholic churches. The details of the attack in Kano perpetrated by a female suicide bomber
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-06 - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria