AFRICA/NIGERIA - Adoration and prayers in all churches for the kidnapped girls
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - The Church of Nigeria is following with special attention and participation the case of the nearly 300 girls kidnapped by a terrorist group in Nigeria. "In the last two Sundays, at the end of every Mass, we prayed so that the girls can embrace their families soon", says Fr. Patrick Tor Alumuku, Director of Communications of the Archdiocese of Abuja. "On Sunday, May 11, in every parish and every church in Nigeria an hour of adoration to pray for the release of the girls was held - continues Fr. Patrick - while Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja, has multiplied the appeals in their favor".
Several States have offered their assistance to the Nigerian authorities to free the students in the hands of Boko Haram, the Islamist sect which has asked for the release of several of its member inmates in Nigerian prisons in exchange for the girls. Fr. Patrick concludes on a note of cautious optimism: "We hope that this matter can be successfully concluded in coming days". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"
- 2014-11-27 - Boko Haram plans attacks with suicide women bombers disguised as nuns
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram