AFRICA/NIGERIA - Adoration and prayers in all churches for the kidnapped girls
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - The Church of Nigeria is following with special attention and participation the case of the nearly 300 girls kidnapped by a terrorist group in Nigeria. "In the last two Sundays, at the end of every Mass, we prayed so that the girls can embrace their families soon", says Fr. Patrick Tor Alumuku, Director of Communications of the Archdiocese of Abuja. "On Sunday, May 11, in every parish and every church in Nigeria an hour of adoration to pray for the release of the girls was held - continues Fr. Patrick - while Cardinal John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja, has multiplied the appeals in their favor".
Several States have offered their assistance to the Nigerian authorities to free the students in the hands of Boko Haram, the Islamist sect which has asked for the release of several of its member inmates in Nigerian prisons in exchange for the girls. Fr. Patrick concludes on a note of cautious optimism: "We hope that this matter can be successfully concluded in coming days". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released
- 2015-05-07 - Catholic priest Kidnapped
- 2015-04-29 - The Nigerian army have expressed joy for the release of hostages held by the Boko Haram Islamist sect and sorrow for the discovery of mass graves
- 2015-04-14 - Mgr. Kaigama: "It is worrying that we do not know anything about the Chibok girls one year after their kidnapping"
- 2015-04-14 - The Bishops in Ibadan: "We are concerned about the violation regarding the sanctity of life"
- 2015-04-08 - "Do not give in to the temptation of revenge", says the Bishop of Maiduguri to the displaced persons who have returned to their destroyed homes
- 2015-04-01 - Muhammadu Buhari elected President; Bishops invite to respect the result
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"