AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Dialogue between the Venezuelan government and the opposition, which began in April in response to student protests and the political and socio-economic crisis prevailing in the country, is on the verge of failure. On Tuesday, May 13th, the Executive Secretary of the opposition "Mesa de la Unidad Democratica" (MUD), Ramon Guillermo Aveledo said the process of dialogue has been "suspended" and announced that the delegation of the opposition will not participate in the meetings as a sign of protest. Now the other protagonists in the process, the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR), together with the Apostolic Nuncio in Caracas, will decide the future of the talks.
Also yesterday, according to a note sent to Fides, the Colombian representative, María Ángela Holguín, from Bogota, before leaving for Caracas for the meeting with the other chancellors of Brazil and Ecuador, said: "We have asked the government of Venezuela for concrete actions several times in order to demonstrate that this dialogue is moving forward, because the population believes in dialogue".
The student protests in Venezuela have been going on for four months. The student movement has called for a demonstration today, 14 May, which will end in front of the office of the Prosecutor General of the Republic, in the center of Caracas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – WHAT IS FEARED IS THE FAILURE OF PEACE TALKS, TODAY NEW STUDENT DEMONSTRATION
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions
- 2014-12-06 - Poverty, few infrastructures and precarious preventive measures: fertile terrain for Chikungunya virus
- 2014-10-28 - Cardinal Urosa Savino: "Respect for political prisoners"