AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Dialogue between the Venezuelan government and the opposition, which began in April in response to student protests and the political and socio-economic crisis prevailing in the country, is on the verge of failure. On Tuesday, May 13th, the Executive Secretary of the opposition "Mesa de la Unidad Democratica" (MUD), Ramon Guillermo Aveledo said the process of dialogue has been "suspended" and announced that the delegation of the opposition will not participate in the meetings as a sign of protest. Now the other protagonists in the process, the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR), together with the Apostolic Nuncio in Caracas, will decide the future of the talks.
Also yesterday, according to a note sent to Fides, the Colombian representative, María Ángela Holguín, from Bogota, before leaving for Caracas for the meeting with the other chancellors of Brazil and Ecuador, said: "We have asked the government of Venezuela for concrete actions several times in order to demonstrate that this dialogue is moving forward, because the population believes in dialogue".
The student protests in Venezuela have been going on for four months. The student movement has called for a demonstration today, 14 May, which will end in front of the office of the Prosecutor General of the Republic, in the center of Caracas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – WHAT IS FEARED IS THE FAILURE OF PEACE TALKS, TODAY NEW STUDENT DEMONSTRATION
- 2015-11-26 - Tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa: "State officials must ask for peace"
- 2015-11-23 - With the closure of borders many children are unlikely to make their First Communion
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops call for elections: "Free vote, essential to strengthen democracy"
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals