AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Dialogue between the Venezuelan government and the opposition, which began in April in response to student protests and the political and socio-economic crisis prevailing in the country, is on the verge of failure. On Tuesday, May 13th, the Executive Secretary of the opposition "Mesa de la Unidad Democratica" (MUD), Ramon Guillermo Aveledo said the process of dialogue has been "suspended" and announced that the delegation of the opposition will not participate in the meetings as a sign of protest. Now the other protagonists in the process, the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR), together with the Apostolic Nuncio in Caracas, will decide the future of the talks.
Also yesterday, according to a note sent to Fides, the Colombian representative, María Ángela Holguín, from Bogota, before leaving for Caracas for the meeting with the other chancellors of Brazil and Ecuador, said: "We have asked the government of Venezuela for concrete actions several times in order to demonstrate that this dialogue is moving forward, because the population believes in dialogue".
The student protests in Venezuela have been going on for four months. The student movement has called for a demonstration today, 14 May, which will end in front of the office of the Prosecutor General of the Republic, in the center of Caracas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – WHAT IS FEARED IS THE FAILURE OF PEACE TALKS, TODAY NEW STUDENT DEMONSTRATION
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk