AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Dialogue between the Venezuelan government and the opposition, which began in April in response to student protests and the political and socio-economic crisis prevailing in the country, is on the verge of failure. On Tuesday, May 13th, the Executive Secretary of the opposition "Mesa de la Unidad Democratica" (MUD), Ramon Guillermo Aveledo said the process of dialogue has been "suspended" and announced that the delegation of the opposition will not participate in the meetings as a sign of protest. Now the other protagonists in the process, the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR), together with the Apostolic Nuncio in Caracas, will decide the future of the talks.
Also yesterday, according to a note sent to Fides, the Colombian representative, María Ángela Holguín, from Bogota, before leaving for Caracas for the meeting with the other chancellors of Brazil and Ecuador, said: "We have asked the government of Venezuela for concrete actions several times in order to demonstrate that this dialogue is moving forward, because the population believes in dialogue".
The student protests in Venezuela have been going on for four months. The student movement has called for a demonstration today, 14 May, which will end in front of the office of the Prosecutor General of the Republic, in the center of Caracas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/05/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – WHAT IS FEARED IS THE FAILURE OF PEACE TALKS, TODAY NEW STUDENT DEMONSTRATION
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations