AFRICA/KENYA - "Kenya oasis of peace has become a terrorist playground. We need to act", said Cardinal Njue
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "In the past few weeks we have lost many Kenyans through terrorist attacks, road accidents, robberies, suicide and illicit brews and in some cases famine. The influx of guns and other dangerous weapons in the Country is alarming. A Country that has been called an oasis of peace in the region has become a terrorist playground". This is what Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi and Chairman of the Kenyan Episcopal Conference said during a press conference at the end of the Bishops Plenary Assembly. Cardinal Njue called on national authorities to fulfill the constitutional mandate of safeguarding the lives of the inhabitants of the Country.
According to reports from CISA Agency in Nairobi, Cardinal Njue also stressed the need to strengthen the National Intelligence Service (NIS). "Some of the things happening in Kenya now could have not happened if the intelligence system was strong. The intelligence system is now becoming more and more important and it is a challenge to government to consider strengthening it", the cardinal said .
His Exc. Mgr. Zacchaeus Okoth, Archbishop of Kisumu and President of the "Justice and Peace" Episcopal Commission also said: "We are full of fear, even when we are praying in the church there are police officers outside to offer security. Even in the buses now… today people are feeling insecure".
In recent weeks, a series of terrorist attacks have hit the capital Nairobi and Mombasa, targeting in particular buses. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2014)
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights