AFRICA/KENYA - "Kenya oasis of peace has become a terrorist playground. We need to act", said Cardinal Njue
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "In the past few weeks we have lost many Kenyans through terrorist attacks, road accidents, robberies, suicide and illicit brews and in some cases famine. The influx of guns and other dangerous weapons in the Country is alarming. A Country that has been called an oasis of peace in the region has become a terrorist playground". This is what Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi and Chairman of the Kenyan Episcopal Conference said during a press conference at the end of the Bishops Plenary Assembly. Cardinal Njue called on national authorities to fulfill the constitutional mandate of safeguarding the lives of the inhabitants of the Country.
According to reports from CISA Agency in Nairobi, Cardinal Njue also stressed the need to strengthen the National Intelligence Service (NIS). "Some of the things happening in Kenya now could have not happened if the intelligence system was strong. The intelligence system is now becoming more and more important and it is a challenge to government to consider strengthening it", the cardinal said .
His Exc. Mgr. Zacchaeus Okoth, Archbishop of Kisumu and President of the "Justice and Peace" Episcopal Commission also said: "We are full of fear, even when we are praying in the church there are police officers outside to offer security. Even in the buses now… today people are feeling insecure".
In recent weeks, a series of terrorist attacks have hit the capital Nairobi and Mombasa, targeting in particular buses. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2014)
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
- 2014-06-24 - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
- 2014-06-24 - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
- 2014-06-18 - "The two assaults committed by Kenyans and foreigners, not by Shabaab", says the Bishop of Malindi
- 2014-06-17 - New assault against a Kenyan village, the commando has probably taken women and children hostage