AFRICA/KENYA - "Kenya oasis of peace has become a terrorist playground. We need to act", said Cardinal Njue
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "In the past few weeks we have lost many Kenyans through terrorist attacks, road accidents, robberies, suicide and illicit brews and in some cases famine. The influx of guns and other dangerous weapons in the Country is alarming. A Country that has been called an oasis of peace in the region has become a terrorist playground". This is what Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi and Chairman of the Kenyan Episcopal Conference said during a press conference at the end of the Bishops Plenary Assembly. Cardinal Njue called on national authorities to fulfill the constitutional mandate of safeguarding the lives of the inhabitants of the Country.
According to reports from CISA Agency in Nairobi, Cardinal Njue also stressed the need to strengthen the National Intelligence Service (NIS). "Some of the things happening in Kenya now could have not happened if the intelligence system was strong. The intelligence system is now becoming more and more important and it is a challenge to government to consider strengthening it", the cardinal said .
His Exc. Mgr. Zacchaeus Okoth, Archbishop of Kisumu and President of the "Justice and Peace" Episcopal Commission also said: "We are full of fear, even when we are praying in the church there are police officers outside to offer security. Even in the buses now… today people are feeling insecure".
In recent weeks, a series of terrorist attacks have hit the capital Nairobi and Mombasa, targeting in particular buses. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2014)
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"