AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: "It is time to take action to approve the immigration reform"
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The group of Catholic bishops who on April 1, celebrated the Mass in the United States-Mexico border for immigrants who died in the desert (see Fides 02/04/2014), will travel to Campidoglio on May 29 to continue the campaign for immigration reform.
According to a note sent to Fides by the United States Catholic Bishops Conference (USCCB), on that occasion a message titled "it is time to act" in favor of a law on immigration reform will be presented to the House of Representatives.
"Our trip to the border has opened our eyes even more than before, we have seen human tragedies generated by the current immigration system", said Mgr. Eusebio Elizondo, Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle and chairman of the USCCB Committee on Migration. "It is a natural step to want to share with legislators in Washington our experience and our solidarity towards the residents on both sides of the border", said Mgr. Elizondo.
On June 27, 2013 the Senate approved the bill S. 744 which provides for citizenship for undocumented immigrants who arrived in the United States before December 31, 2011 and who have no criminal record. However, due to disagreements between Democrats and Republicans, the Chamber has not yet set a date for its discussion in view of the final approval. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2014)
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"