AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: "It is time to take action to approve the immigration reform"
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The group of Catholic bishops who on April 1, celebrated the Mass in the United States-Mexico border for immigrants who died in the desert (see Fides 02/04/2014), will travel to Campidoglio on May 29 to continue the campaign for immigration reform.
According to a note sent to Fides by the United States Catholic Bishops Conference (USCCB), on that occasion a message titled "it is time to act" in favor of a law on immigration reform will be presented to the House of Representatives.
"Our trip to the border has opened our eyes even more than before, we have seen human tragedies generated by the current immigration system", said Mgr. Eusebio Elizondo, Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle and chairman of the USCCB Committee on Migration. "It is a natural step to want to share with legislators in Washington our experience and our solidarity towards the residents on both sides of the border", said Mgr. Elizondo.
On June 27, 2013 the Senate approved the bill S. 744 which provides for citizenship for undocumented immigrants who arrived in the United States before December 31, 2011 and who have no criminal record. However, due to disagreements between Democrats and Republicans, the Chamber has not yet set a date for its discussion in view of the final approval. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2014)
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families
- 2014-09-22 - Waiting for the reform, migrant families continue to be divided
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"
- 2014-07-24 - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"
- 2014-07-08 - Forum on Migration: analysis of the reality and operational proposals are being studied
- 2014-06-28 - Solidarity of Churches for the humanitarian emergency of immigrant children
- 2014-06-24 - Over 160 thousand immigrants in Texas, 37 thousand children are alone
- 2014-06-24 - Children and young immigrants in the U.S.A: "They are not seeking adventure, they are fleeing from a war"
- 2014-06-17 - Peace-building and formation of seminarians in Latin America among the 112projects funded by the U.S. Catholics