AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: "It is time to take action to approve the immigration reform"
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The group of Catholic bishops who on April 1, celebrated the Mass in the United States-Mexico border for immigrants who died in the desert (see Fides 02/04/2014), will travel to Campidoglio on May 29 to continue the campaign for immigration reform.
According to a note sent to Fides by the United States Catholic Bishops Conference (USCCB), on that occasion a message titled "it is time to act" in favor of a law on immigration reform will be presented to the House of Representatives.
"Our trip to the border has opened our eyes even more than before, we have seen human tragedies generated by the current immigration system", said Mgr. Eusebio Elizondo, Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle and chairman of the USCCB Committee on Migration. "It is a natural step to want to share with legislators in Washington our experience and our solidarity towards the residents on both sides of the border", said Mgr. Elizondo.
On June 27, 2013 the Senate approved the bill S. 744 which provides for citizenship for undocumented immigrants who arrived in the United States before December 31, 2011 and who have no criminal record. However, due to disagreements between Democrats and Republicans, the Chamber has not yet set a date for its discussion in view of the final approval. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2014)
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: not only diplomatic relations with Cuba, but also cooperation in various fields
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars
- 2014-11-18 - Letter of the Bishops of Texas and Ciudad Juarez: "We invite the Pope to come and visit the border area"
- 2014-11-14 - New version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, in English and Spanish
- 2014-11-13 - Students attending Catholic schools increase
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families