AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Challenges before the elections", the Bishops call the national community to vote in a conscious way
Aparecida (Agenzia Fides) - "With this text we launch an appeal to Brazilians so they themselves express their right to vote in a conscious way": this is what the Archbishop of Aparecida and President of the Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB), Cardinal Raymundo Damasceno Assis said during a press conference with the message titled "Thinking of Brazil: Challenges before the 2014 elections". The text was approved by the Bishops gathered for the 52nd General Assembly, in Aparecida (see Fides 02/05/2014).
According to information sent to Fides by the CNBB, the press conference, which was held on May 9, was presided over by Cardinal Damasceno Assis. The Archbishop of São Luís and Vice President of the CNBB, his Exc. Mgr. José Belisario, and the Auxiliary Bishop of Brasilia and the Secretary General of the CNBB, his Exc. Mgr. Leonardo Steiner were also present.
On presenting the message, the Cardinal explained that the text "contains important insights for Christians and for the whole society", that this year will have to elect the president, governors, senators, MPs, at a federal and state level. The Cardinal went on to highlight three key points: conscious participation in the elections; the need to know who the candidates are, their history, what principles and values they practice and defend; the search for candidates who are committed to the many reforms necessary for the Country, in particular with the Political Reform, supported by CNBB and other institutions of the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/05/2014)
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future
- 2015-05-27 - Bishops’ refelection: "Thinking Brazil", social inequalities in Brazil
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI