AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Challenges before the elections", the Bishops call the national community to vote in a conscious way
Aparecida (Agenzia Fides) - "With this text we launch an appeal to Brazilians so they themselves express their right to vote in a conscious way": this is what the Archbishop of Aparecida and President of the Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB), Cardinal Raymundo Damasceno Assis said during a press conference with the message titled "Thinking of Brazil: Challenges before the 2014 elections". The text was approved by the Bishops gathered for the 52nd General Assembly, in Aparecida (see Fides 02/05/2014).
According to information sent to Fides by the CNBB, the press conference, which was held on May 9, was presided over by Cardinal Damasceno Assis. The Archbishop of São Luís and Vice President of the CNBB, his Exc. Mgr. José Belisario, and the Auxiliary Bishop of Brasilia and the Secretary General of the CNBB, his Exc. Mgr. Leonardo Steiner were also present.
On presenting the message, the Cardinal explained that the text "contains important insights for Christians and for the whole society", that this year will have to elect the president, governors, senators, MPs, at a federal and state level. The Cardinal went on to highlight three key points: conscious participation in the elections; the need to know who the candidates are, their history, what principles and values they practice and defend; the search for candidates who are committed to the many reforms necessary for the Country, in particular with the Political Reform, supported by CNBB and other institutions of the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/05/2014)
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"
- 2014-09-02 - Bishops’ Conference promotes television debate between candidates for Presidency
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins