AFRICA/SUDAN - The complaint of the Bishop Gassis: Catholic hospital bombed in the Nuba Mountains
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - "The bombing is an outrage against innocent civilians who are seeking medical assistance from our hospital," said Bishop Emeritus Macram Max Gassis of the Diocese of EI Obeid in a statement sent to Fides Agency, in which he strongly condemned the deliberate targeting and bombing of the Mother of Mercy Catholic Hospital in the Nuba Mountains, South Kordofan, Sudan, on 1-2 May.
"The sick have nothing to do with the conflict that has devastated the Nuba Mountains since June 2011. They are innocent civilians protected by international law from direct targeting by military forces", says Bishop Gassis.
The Bishop recalled that the hospital is the only functioning hospital in the Nuba Mountains of South Kordofan State, which provides essential care and a variety of support services to over 150,000 people annually.
Bishop Gassis appeals to Sudanese President Omar El Bashir. "I wish to appeal to President Omar EI Bashir, whose air force carried out this bombing, to ensure that our hospital is protected from further bombing. The Mother of Mercy hospital is a Catholic Church health institution which offers life-saving services without distinction based on religion, tribe, or political affiliation. By bombing our hospital, you hit our brothers and sisters, Muslims and Christians".
Bishop Gassis concludes by reaffirming the commitment of the Diocese of El Obeid to find a peaceful solution to the long war that has bloodied South Kordofan. The Nuba Mountains are part of South Kordofan, where there has long been an ongoing war between the government of Khartoum and SPLA -North (Sudan People's Liberation Army -North). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2014)
- 2015-08-05 - Rain and wind storms are causing severe damage in South Darfur
- 2015-07-07 - The Church organizes schools for South Sudanese refugees in Khartoum
- 2015-06-15 - "Assurance in South Africa: President Bashir will leave", said a spokesman in Khartoum
- 2015-04-28 - Omar Hassan al-Bashir re-elected President with 94% of the votes
- 2015-04-22 - Outbreak of measles in Darfur: cases continue to multiply
- 2015-04-15 - 70 thousand bags of Carcinogenic Sugar distributed in South Darfur
- 2015-04-13 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Elections contested by the opposition begin, while tension increases with South Sudan
- 2015-02-25 - The number of homeless children, 700 000 live on the streets of the capital
- 2015-02-12 - Hunger and diseases for the displaced persons in Darfur: food, medicines and basic necessities are needed
- 2015-01-30 - Humanitarian aid denied in conflict areas: MSF forced to close activities