AFRICA/SUDAN - The complaint of the Bishop Gassis: Catholic hospital bombed in the Nuba Mountains
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - "The bombing is an outrage against innocent civilians who are seeking medical assistance from our hospital," said Bishop Emeritus Macram Max Gassis of the Diocese of EI Obeid in a statement sent to Fides Agency, in which he strongly condemned the deliberate targeting and bombing of the Mother of Mercy Catholic Hospital in the Nuba Mountains, South Kordofan, Sudan, on 1-2 May.
"The sick have nothing to do with the conflict that has devastated the Nuba Mountains since June 2011. They are innocent civilians protected by international law from direct targeting by military forces", says Bishop Gassis.
The Bishop recalled that the hospital is the only functioning hospital in the Nuba Mountains of South Kordofan State, which provides essential care and a variety of support services to over 150,000 people annually.
Bishop Gassis appeals to Sudanese President Omar El Bashir. "I wish to appeal to President Omar EI Bashir, whose air force carried out this bombing, to ensure that our hospital is protected from further bombing. The Mother of Mercy hospital is a Catholic Church health institution which offers life-saving services without distinction based on religion, tribe, or political affiliation. By bombing our hospital, you hit our brothers and sisters, Muslims and Christians".
Bishop Gassis concludes by reaffirming the commitment of the Diocese of El Obeid to find a peaceful solution to the long war that has bloodied South Kordofan. The Nuba Mountains are part of South Kordofan, where there has long been an ongoing war between the government of Khartoum and SPLA -North (Sudan People's Liberation Army -North). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2014)
- 2014-12-17 - Twenty new radio stations in Darfur and South Kordofan
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Police raid Evangelical church in Khartoum
- 2014-11-12 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Alarm: haemorrhagic fever in Southern Kordofan
- 2014-10-01 - Epidemics and food shortages in refugee camps in Kass, South Darfur
- 2014-09-24 - Severe floods are affecting tens of thousands of new refugees in Darfur
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Appeal for embargo on arms entering South Sudan, grave humanitarian crisis impending
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum
- 2014-07-09 - Torrential rains worsen the living conditions of hundreds of thousands of displaced persons
- 2014-07-02 - Humanitarian crisis and lack of investment in social sectors affect 70% of children