AMERICA/MEXICO - Indigenous children and adolescents forced to leave school to work or to marry
Merida (Agenzia Fides) - In Mexico and Yucatan, indigenous girls, boys and adolescents constitute a high proportion of the population vulnerable to the conditions of poverty in which they live, which lead them not to enjoy their fundamental rights. The Human Rights Commission of Yucatan State has reported that a large part of the indigenous population of the whole country (59.2%) and it is estimated that 76.1% of the Mayans, live in poverty. Among the poor, children are the most disadvantaged. The illiteracy rate is four times higher than the national average. Many young people drop out of school because they are forced to work.
According to a research on child labor carried out by the Geographic National Institute of Statistics and Informatics (INEGI), 36% of children between 6 and 14 work, twice the national average, which is 15.7%. Another important factor which leads them to leave school is the early marriage of indigenous girls, who marry before the age of 15 (almost 5%) compared to 2 % of the non-indigenous. The state of Yucatan has however made significant strides in the defense of children's rights with laws for the protection of the rights of girls, boys and adolescents. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2014)
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations