AMERICA/MEXICO - Indigenous children and adolescents forced to leave school to work or to marry
Merida (Agenzia Fides) - In Mexico and Yucatan, indigenous girls, boys and adolescents constitute a high proportion of the population vulnerable to the conditions of poverty in which they live, which lead them not to enjoy their fundamental rights. The Human Rights Commission of Yucatan State has reported that a large part of the indigenous population of the whole country (59.2%) and it is estimated that 76.1% of the Mayans, live in poverty. Among the poor, children are the most disadvantaged. The illiteracy rate is four times higher than the national average. Many young people drop out of school because they are forced to work.
According to a research on child labor carried out by the Geographic National Institute of Statistics and Informatics (INEGI), 36% of children between 6 and 14 work, twice the national average, which is 15.7%. Another important factor which leads them to leave school is the early marriage of indigenous girls, who marry before the age of 15 (almost 5%) compared to 2 % of the non-indigenous. The state of Yucatan has however made significant strides in the defense of children's rights with laws for the protection of the rights of girls, boys and adolescents. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2014)
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend