ASIA/IRAQ - The Mayor of Baghdad: we will distribute houses and lands to Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The mayor of Baghdad, Abub Naim al-Kaabi, has made known his intention to distribute building land and houses built according to the plans of public housing also for the benefit of Christians in the city which belong to the poorer segments of the population. The initiative, anticipated by the mayor in the local media, according to sources close to the Chaldean Patriarchate consulted by Fides Agency, is politically sponsored by Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, the Shiite destined to be confirmed as prime minister by the Parliamentary Assembly expressed by the election on April 30. "We", said al-Maliki, "will give the keys of prefabricated houses to the citizens without any discrimination".
The housing crisis is one of the causes that lead many young Christian families to emigrate from Iraq. In recent months, the Chaldean Patriarchate has taken steps to distribute dozens of apartments, obtained from the renovation of the former Patriarchal Seminary, to needy families in Baghdad. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/05/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"
- 2014-07-23 - The jihadists of the "Caliphate" attack Tilkif, rejected by Kurdish Peshmerga
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated
- 2014-07-15 - Letter from Patriarch Louis Raphael I to Iraqi Parliament: there is no time to waste