ASIA/IRAQ - The Mayor of Baghdad: we will distribute houses and lands to Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The mayor of Baghdad, Abub Naim al-Kaabi, has made known his intention to distribute building land and houses built according to the plans of public housing also for the benefit of Christians in the city which belong to the poorer segments of the population. The initiative, anticipated by the mayor in the local media, according to sources close to the Chaldean Patriarchate consulted by Fides Agency, is politically sponsored by Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, the Shiite destined to be confirmed as prime minister by the Parliamentary Assembly expressed by the election on April 30. "We", said al-Maliki, "will give the keys of prefabricated houses to the citizens without any discrimination".
The housing crisis is one of the causes that lead many young Christian families to emigrate from Iraq. In recent months, the Chaldean Patriarchate has taken steps to distribute dozens of apartments, obtained from the renovation of the former Patriarchal Seminary, to needy families in Baghdad. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/05/2014)
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians
- 2015-03-16 - Chaldean Patriarch: a law against preachers who incite violence is needed
- 2015-03-12 - The monastery of St. George in Mosul damaged, but not destroyed
- 2015-03-10 - Appeal of the Chaldean Patriarch: the offensive against the Caliphate causes new humanitarian emergencies
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/IRAQ – Courses to start soon at Erbil Catholic University