ASIA/IRAQ - The Mayor of Baghdad: we will distribute houses and lands to Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The mayor of Baghdad, Abub Naim al-Kaabi, has made known his intention to distribute building land and houses built according to the plans of public housing also for the benefit of Christians in the city which belong to the poorer segments of the population. The initiative, anticipated by the mayor in the local media, according to sources close to the Chaldean Patriarchate consulted by Fides Agency, is politically sponsored by Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, the Shiite destined to be confirmed as prime minister by the Parliamentary Assembly expressed by the election on April 30. "We", said al-Maliki, "will give the keys of prefabricated houses to the citizens without any discrimination".
The housing crisis is one of the causes that lead many young Christian families to emigrate from Iraq. In recent months, the Chaldean Patriarchate has taken steps to distribute dozens of apartments, obtained from the renovation of the former Patriarchal Seminary, to needy families in Baghdad. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/05/2014)
- 2015-11-30 - Chaldean Patriarch: during Advent let us pray for the liberation of Mosul
- 2015-11-20 - Christian and Muslim leaders in Kurdistan celebrate together the "day of tolerance"
- 2015-11-13 - A kindergarten, a language and professional training center for the displaced
- 2015-11-11 - Large participation in the protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-09 - Chaldean Patriarch convenes a protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-05 - Even Christians demonstrate in Erbil against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-10-28 - Parliament rejected the request to change the law on the religious affiliation regarding children
- 2015-10-23 - 400 young Christians take part in Kirkuk Youth Day
- 2015-10-10 - Christians in Erbil protest against corruption, "our neighborhoods are being filled with infamous clubs"
- 2015-10-09 - Two Iraqi sisters go and live among the Christian refugees camped in Erbil