AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the presidential elections, the Church does not take sides with any candidate
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II has explicitly excluded any choice of the Coptic Orthodox Church in favor of one of the two candidates in the Egyptian presidential elections to be held next May 26 to 27. "I ask every citizen, Christian or Muslim", said Pope Tawadros in an interview published on Sunday, May 4th in the Egyptian Catholic weekly Hamel el-Resale "to read the electoral program of each candidate and choose who you want as President". In the same interview, the Coptic Orthodox patriarch wanted to reaffirm the "institutional" nature and not political of the explicit support expressed by the Coptic Church regarding the transition program that led to the removal of President Mohamed Morsi, the promulgation of the new constitution and presidential elections.
In the race for the Presidency of Egypt, there are only two candidates: former General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and the left-wing politician Hamdin Sabahi. "The position expressed by Patriarch Tawadros" says to Fides Agency the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya, Botros Fahim Awad Hanna, "is to be appreciated and also manifests a positive maturation compared to the past, when some Bishops tried to influence the faithful in the choice of lists and individual candidates. We - Anba Botros continues - can only suggest to the baptized to get as much information as possible on the programs, not to be manipulated by propaganda, to consider the proposals with a critical sense and make a conscious discernment. But we must not go further. In the case of the upcoming presidential elections, the two candidates are very different but both are able to serve the Country. Everyone has to choose between them according to their own conscience". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/05/2014)
- 2015-04-21 - The Islamic University of Al Azhar condemns the massacre of jihadist of Christian Ethiopians
- 2015-04-20 - Coptic Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina on Ethiopian Christians massacred: the martyrs are those in whom the great and consoling victory of Christ shines
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors