AMERICA/MEXICO - Immigrants march with a bishop to ask for "freedom of transit"
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - A convoy of more than 800 immigrants marched through the streets of the Mexican city of Saltillo to ask for "freedom of transit" to the local authorities. The immigrants, all from Central American countries such as Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and others, gathered on May 1, invoking the possibility of crossing the country (although many arrive without documents), in a transit that leads them, in most cases, towards North America.
Mgr. Raul Vera, Bishop of Saltillo joined the caravan, in a sign of support of the diocese to the tragedy experienced by immigrant brothers and sisters. A note sent to Fides reports his words: "We see this tragedy not only here in Mexico, but also in other countries around the world. The Pope spoke of the tragedy of indifference, in which we are involved. Today, we ask for their freedom of movement".
Immigrants, after about 5 hours of walking, arrived at the central square of Saltillo and each group sang the anthem of their country. Shortly before, a committee of 12 representatives, among them Mgr. Vera, went to meet the governor of the city to ask for the freedom of transit on behalf of migrants. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2014)
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend