AMERICA/BRAZIL - Assembly of the CNBB underway: Parish Church, the laity, the agrarian issue and the national situation
Sao Paulo (Agenzia Fides) - With the participation of more than 300 Bishops from all over Brazil, from April 30 to May 9, the 52nd General Assembly of the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) began at the Father Vitor Coelho de Almeida Events Center in Aparecida (SP).
The note sent to Fides by the CNBB reports that the topics relate to the central theme: "Community of communities: a new parish". Cardinal Raymundo Damasceno Assis, Archbishop of Aparecida and Chairman of the CNBB, on presenting the work, said that "during the meeting, the Bishops will have to reflect on important issues such as the renewal of the parish, and therefore analyze the presence of the Christian laity in the Church and in society, then will touch an important issue such as the agrarian question, finally there is a document on the national situation to be discussed, because we are approaching the elections".
In addition to the analysis of the political, social and ecclesial situation of the country, the Bishops will also prepare themselves for the Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, in which the challenges concerning the family for the new evangelization will be discussed. An important moment will be dedicated to the intervention of the President of the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), who will illustrate the situation of the indigenous peoples in Brazil. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/05/2014)
- 2015-11-25 - National school feeding program to improve the living conditions of children and farmers
- 2015-11-23 - The presence of foreign missionaries enriches the Church in Brazil
- 2015-11-13 - Two more religious missionary nuns sent to Haiti: they will help children, youth and families
- 2015-10-30 - Bishops' message: Crisis in the country worsens, dialogue and democracy are needed
- 2015-10-20 - "Scalabrinian Mission": opening of a new reception center for refugees in Sao Paulo
- 2015-10-14 - "The wealth of Brazil should be better distributed" asks Mgr. Nicioli
- 2015-10-10 - The Church: it is urgent to save abandoned children and adolescents who have disappeared
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age