AMERICA/BRAZIL - Assembly of the CNBB underway: Parish Church, the laity, the agrarian issue and the national situation
Sao Paulo (Agenzia Fides) - With the participation of more than 300 Bishops from all over Brazil, from April 30 to May 9, the 52nd General Assembly of the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) began at the Father Vitor Coelho de Almeida Events Center in Aparecida (SP).
The note sent to Fides by the CNBB reports that the topics relate to the central theme: "Community of communities: a new parish". Cardinal Raymundo Damasceno Assis, Archbishop of Aparecida and Chairman of the CNBB, on presenting the work, said that "during the meeting, the Bishops will have to reflect on important issues such as the renewal of the parish, and therefore analyze the presence of the Christian laity in the Church and in society, then will touch an important issue such as the agrarian question, finally there is a document on the national situation to be discussed, because we are approaching the elections".
In addition to the analysis of the political, social and ecclesial situation of the country, the Bishops will also prepare themselves for the Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, in which the challenges concerning the family for the new evangelization will be discussed. An important moment will be dedicated to the intervention of the President of the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI), who will illustrate the situation of the indigenous peoples in Brazil. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/05/2014)
- 2015-09-03 - The memory of the missionary Fr. Ezechiele Ramin is still alive even 30 years after his assassination
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Franciscan Sister murdered
- 2015-07-23 - Mission Campaign 2015: material ready
- 2015-07-21 - The water crisis threatens millions of people