AMERICA/MEXICO - Bishops denounce the poverty of 50 million Mexicans and the uselessness of reforms approved
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - "Reforms are necessary to adapt to the present in search of a better future. But we should not delude ourselves! If the mind and the heart are not reformed, and the conscience to create a real scale of values and our ability to fraternal solidarity are not carried out, there will be no reform that can help us overcome the intolerable inequalities and social injustices, we will continue to read statistics and hear news about kidnapping, human trafficking, organized crime which go unpunished, violence and decapitated bodies found in clandestine moats".
This is the harsh and unprecedented description highlighted in the statment regarding the relations between the government and the Catholic hierarchy that the Mexican Bishops, gathered in the Assembly (see Fides 30/04/2014), published, questioning the validity of educational reforms, tax policy, energy and telecommunications, recently approved by the government.
In the note sent to Fides Agency by CEM (Mexican Episcopal Conference), the Bishops say they are concerned about the future of the country because of these constitutional reforms, and wonder "how useful will they be, especially for those who have already been definitively marginalized".
The statement has provoked widespread controversy in the political environment, while the Bishops recalled during the Assembly the state of poverty of 50 million Mexicans, questioning the real capacity of the reforms approved to help them out of this situation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/05/2014)
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus