AMERICA/MEXICO - Bishops denounce the poverty of 50 million Mexicans and the uselessness of reforms approved
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - "Reforms are necessary to adapt to the present in search of a better future. But we should not delude ourselves! If the mind and the heart are not reformed, and the conscience to create a real scale of values and our ability to fraternal solidarity are not carried out, there will be no reform that can help us overcome the intolerable inequalities and social injustices, we will continue to read statistics and hear news about kidnapping, human trafficking, organized crime which go unpunished, violence and decapitated bodies found in clandestine moats".
This is the harsh and unprecedented description highlighted in the statment regarding the relations between the government and the Catholic hierarchy that the Mexican Bishops, gathered in the Assembly (see Fides 30/04/2014), published, questioning the validity of educational reforms, tax policy, energy and telecommunications, recently approved by the government.
In the note sent to Fides Agency by CEM (Mexican Episcopal Conference), the Bishops say they are concerned about the future of the country because of these constitutional reforms, and wonder "how useful will they be, especially for those who have already been definitively marginalized".
The statement has provoked widespread controversy in the political environment, while the Bishops recalled during the Assembly the state of poverty of 50 million Mexicans, questioning the real capacity of the reforms approved to help them out of this situation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/05/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace