AMERICA/MEXICO - Bishops denounce the poverty of 50 million Mexicans and the uselessness of reforms approved
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - "Reforms are necessary to adapt to the present in search of a better future. But we should not delude ourselves! If the mind and the heart are not reformed, and the conscience to create a real scale of values and our ability to fraternal solidarity are not carried out, there will be no reform that can help us overcome the intolerable inequalities and social injustices, we will continue to read statistics and hear news about kidnapping, human trafficking, organized crime which go unpunished, violence and decapitated bodies found in clandestine moats".
This is the harsh and unprecedented description highlighted in the statment regarding the relations between the government and the Catholic hierarchy that the Mexican Bishops, gathered in the Assembly (see Fides 30/04/2014), published, questioning the validity of educational reforms, tax policy, energy and telecommunications, recently approved by the government.
In the note sent to Fides Agency by CEM (Mexican Episcopal Conference), the Bishops say they are concerned about the future of the country because of these constitutional reforms, and wonder "how useful will they be, especially for those who have already been definitively marginalized".
The statement has provoked widespread controversy in the political environment, while the Bishops recalled during the Assembly the state of poverty of 50 million Mexicans, questioning the real capacity of the reforms approved to help them out of this situation. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/05/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The missing priest's body found, he had been set on fire
- 2015-11-17 - Parish priest in Cook has been missing for days
- 2015-11-16 - The child martyrs of Tlaxcala: martyrs of all Latin America
- 2015-11-12 - Minors not allowed to work in the sugarcane fields
- 2015-11-10 - A battlefield where migrants suffer, are attacked, die
- 2015-11-06 - Mgr. Arizmendi inaugurates a house of the migrant in Tuxtla Gutierrez
- 2015-11-05 - Bishops' appeal for peace: "Dialogue with everyone, even with organized crime"
- 2015-11-03 - For the first time in Mexican history a Pope's encyclical will be presented in the Senate
- 2015-10-27 - “Drugs are drugs even when sold as medicines”: the Catholic stance
- 2015-10-27 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Children in mining areas risk lead poisoning