AMERICA/PANAMA - First Congress on human mobility in Latin America and the Caribbean
Panama (Agenzia Fides) - The first Congress on human mobility in Latin America and the Caribbean will be held from 12 to 16 May 2014 in Panama. As Fides learns, the event is organized by several Catholic groups that have been working for some time in this field: among others there are the Apostolado del Mar, Pastoral Care of Migrants and Refugees and the Human Mobility Pastoral of Panama, International Migration Network Scalabrini, Pastoral Care of Migrants - Department of Justice and solidarity – CELAM, Latin American Secretariat of Social Pastoral.
In the Congress, the Church of Panama will be led by Mgr. Jose Domingo Ulloa Mendieta, OSA, Archbishop of Panama, President of the Episcopal Conference and by the Human Mobility Pastoral team; and by Mgr. José Luis Lacunza Maestrojuán, OAR, Bishop of the Diocese of David. The Congress aims to focus attention on the recognition, defense and promotion of life, rights and dignity of persons in situation of mobility. The work starts from the ideas contained in the ecclesial guidelines of the Conference in Rio and Puebla, but also from the documents of Aparecida and Santo Domingo.
According to a note sent to Fides by CELAM, the participation of delegates from 22 countries of Latin America and the Caribbean is expected. The Human Mobility Pastoral has carried out several regional meetings on the topic, but this will be the first Congress that aims to unify efforts of pastoral complex and, in recent years, marked by situations of violence against migrants. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2014)
- 2014-07-12 - Insecurity and lack of protection of resources among the serious problems of the Country according to the Bishops
- 2014-05-22 - On a mission in the vulnerable suburbs of society: migrants, itinerant people, displaced ...
- 2014-04-30 - First Congress on human mobility in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2014-04-15 - The Church calls for calm and responsible participation in the voting
- 2014-02-14 - Conclusion of the Jubilee for the 500th anniversary of Santa Maria La Antigua, the first Church of the continent
- 2014-01-10 - "An inclusive democracy for the dignity of all the people in Panama": the Assembly of Bishops calls on people to vote on May 4
- 2013-11-25 - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
- 2013-10-31 - Priest killed in broad daylight in front of the Bishop's house
- 2013-10-24 - Education, health care and food for children belonging to poor communities
- 2013-10-16 - The Church ready to mediate between the government and doctors on strike