AFRICA/NIGER - Bishops alarm: "The political situation is serious; the democratic climate is deteriorating day by day"
Niamey (Agenzia Fides ) - "The current political situation is serious and the democratic climate that seemed clear after the success of the last election, is deteriorating day by day", say the Bishops of Niger in a message on the political situation of the Country, sent Fides Agency.
In their message, the Bishops express their recognition to those who "give body and soul with the spirit of generosity to the cause of populations without access to food, job, health care, education and recognition".
"We greet – continue the Bishops – those who work in everyday life with discretion to promote the unity of spirit, the reconciliation of hearts, respect for cultural, political and religious differences, and the sense of the common good".
Alongside those who work for peace and the common good, however, there are those who, like the message says, "use their political mandate for their personal purposes, interpreting laws in their favor". In condemning these attitudes, the Bishops call "actors in the political life to become aware that media insults and political cheating are not without consequences and can trigger deadly conflicts".
Niger, one of the poorest Countries in the world, is facing a severe food crisis and a wave of refugees from northern Nigeria who are fleeing the violence of Boko Haram. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2014)
- 2014-07-18 - New French military mission for the Sahel, but not everyone agrees
- 2014-04-30 - Bishops alarm: "The political situation is serious; the democratic climate is deteriorating day by day"
- 2014-04-25 - Malaria: Each year more than a million people die, mostly in Africa
- 2013-10-09 - 79,087 cases and 362 children under 5 years of age have died from severe acute malnutrition
- 2013-09-05 - Prevention against malaria for more than 180,000 children
- 2013-08-08 - AFRICA/NIGER – To safeguard Creation at the center of the Bishops’ message for the end of Ramadan
- 2013-06-20 - "Refugees are the invisible of our time", says a missionary
- 2013-06-13 - Gunfight in Niamey, maybe it was a false alarm
- 2013-06-10 - The first Bishop from Niger in Niamey
- 2013-06-04 - The assault on the prison of Niamey reveals the links between Boko Haram and groups of Mali