AFRICA/NIGER - Bishops alarm: "The political situation is serious; the democratic climate is deteriorating day by day"
Niamey (Agenzia Fides ) - "The current political situation is serious and the democratic climate that seemed clear after the success of the last election, is deteriorating day by day", say the Bishops of Niger in a message on the political situation of the Country, sent Fides Agency.
In their message, the Bishops express their recognition to those who "give body and soul with the spirit of generosity to the cause of populations without access to food, job, health care, education and recognition".
"We greet – continue the Bishops – those who work in everyday life with discretion to promote the unity of spirit, the reconciliation of hearts, respect for cultural, political and religious differences, and the sense of the common good".
Alongside those who work for peace and the common good, however, there are those who, like the message says, "use their political mandate for their personal purposes, interpreting laws in their favor". In condemning these attitudes, the Bishops call "actors in the political life to become aware that media insults and political cheating are not without consequences and can trigger deadly conflicts".
Niger, one of the poorest Countries in the world, is facing a severe food crisis and a wave of refugees from northern Nigeria who are fleeing the violence of Boko Haram. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/04/2014)
- 2015-02-19 - The day for demonstrations against Boko Haram a village is bombed by mistake on the border with Nigeria; 37 dead
- 2015-02-16 - March against Boko Haram; Christians call nation to unite
- 2015-02-14 - Testimony from Niamey: A source of inspiration for peaceful co-existence!
- 2015-02-10 - A missionary: "There is a growing feeling of anti-Christianity in Niger
- 2015-01-27 - Anti-Christian violence: the Bishops reaffirm their friendship with the Muslim community
- 2015-01-22 - Anti-Christian Violence: Bishops suspend all activities of the Church
- 2015-01-22 - Churches and convents burned, schools and dispensaries closed
- 2015-01-15 - medical centre in Dosso, for the welfare of women and children
- 2015-01-07 - The Archbishop of Niamey: "More and more young Nigeriens are being enlisted in the Boko Haram movement, especially in the region of Diffa"
- 2014-11-21 - Malaria: preventive treatment to 735 000 children