AMERICA/MEXICO - Three million child workers, and 27% suffer from extreme poverty
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - On the occasion of Children's Day, established by the United Nations on 30 April, the Mexican authorities have committed themselves to strengthening the struggle for the defense of children's rights. In the country there are more than 3 million child workers (out of a population of about 120 million people), 40% of whom do not attend school. There are also many who experience violence and suffer from obesity due to malnutrition. Approximately one million, 30% of the total, work in the agricultural sector.
According to the latest official reports, the total number of children living in rural areas, especially indigenous people, almost 27%, suffer from extreme poverty. According to UN figures, two children under 14 years of age die every day in Mexico due to violence and abuse. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2014)
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime