AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Human trafficking, especially children, in Goma", denounces the local civil society
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - A network of human traffickers, most of whom are children, work in Goma, capital of North Kivu (in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). The complaint, in a note sent to Fides Agency, is by the Co-ordination of civil society in North Kivu. "The method used by this network is simple", says the note . "Its members are using different strategies and tricks to capture their victims. They organize several brainwashing sessions and, given the victims precarious economic conditions, promise them a better life".
The victims who end up in the network of traffickers are brought to the territory of Beni (always in North Kivu ) "for purposes that are not yet precisely known", the statement said, adding: "Everything leads us to believe that their destination is the area still under control of the ADF, Allied Democratic Forces". The ADF is a rebel group of Ugandan origin that have been in the north-east of the DRC for a long time, where it commits raids and violence against local civilians. The Congolese army, backed by UN troops, is conducting a series of military offensives to make this guerrilla group harmless.
Civil society in North Kivu calls for tighter and border police controls and the judiciary to investigate thoroughly in order to curb the smuggling network. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2014)
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue
- 2014-12-05 - More than 88,000 persons displaced by guerrilla violence; no words describe the tragedy and horror
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls