AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Human trafficking, especially children, in Goma", denounces the local civil society
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - A network of human traffickers, most of whom are children, work in Goma, capital of North Kivu (in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). The complaint, in a note sent to Fides Agency, is by the Co-ordination of civil society in North Kivu. "The method used by this network is simple", says the note . "Its members are using different strategies and tricks to capture their victims. They organize several brainwashing sessions and, given the victims precarious economic conditions, promise them a better life".
The victims who end up in the network of traffickers are brought to the territory of Beni (always in North Kivu ) "for purposes that are not yet precisely known", the statement said, adding: "Everything leads us to believe that their destination is the area still under control of the ADF, Allied Democratic Forces". The ADF is a rebel group of Ugandan origin that have been in the north-east of the DRC for a long time, where it commits raids and violence against local civilians. The Congolese army, backed by UN troops, is conducting a series of military offensives to make this guerrilla group harmless.
Civil society in North Kivu calls for tighter and border police controls and the judiciary to investigate thoroughly in order to curb the smuggling network. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2014)
- 2015-05-26 - The Bishops denounce: "In eastern Congo three basic training camps for jihadists; but the UN observes without intervening"
- 2015-05-22 - Civil society denounces the ambiguous role of the army in the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2015-05-18 - Prayers and mobilization of the population to demand an end of attacks by Ugandan rebels
- 2015-05-18 - More than a hundred women victims of rape in the attack in Kikamba
- 2015-05-05 - More than 7,000 Burundian asylum-seekers in South Kivu; UN and Caritas mobilized
- 2015-04-30 - African rebirth also passes through the media and Pan-African tourism
- 2015-04-27 - The United Nations Commission on Human Rights takes office, but repression of opponents continue
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few