AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Human trafficking, especially children, in Goma", denounces the local civil society
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - A network of human traffickers, most of whom are children, work in Goma, capital of North Kivu (in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). The complaint, in a note sent to Fides Agency, is by the Co-ordination of civil society in North Kivu. "The method used by this network is simple", says the note . "Its members are using different strategies and tricks to capture their victims. They organize several brainwashing sessions and, given the victims precarious economic conditions, promise them a better life".
The victims who end up in the network of traffickers are brought to the territory of Beni (always in North Kivu ) "for purposes that are not yet precisely known", the statement said, adding: "Everything leads us to believe that their destination is the area still under control of the ADF, Allied Democratic Forces". The ADF is a rebel group of Ugandan origin that have been in the north-east of the DRC for a long time, where it commits raids and violence against local civilians. The Congolese army, backed by UN troops, is conducting a series of military offensives to make this guerrilla group harmless.
Civil society in North Kivu calls for tighter and border police controls and the judiciary to investigate thoroughly in order to curb the smuggling network. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/04/2014)
- 2015-11-19 - Open discussion on the mission in Africa 50 years after the "Ad Gentes" apostolic decree
- 2015-11-16 - The Bishops: "National dialogue must respect the Constitution"
- 2015-11-05 - Civil society: "There are foreign jihadists in our region despite what the UN says"
- 2015-11-04 - Kidnappings: new plague in North Kivu: more than 600 seizures since the beginning of the year
- 2015-10-30 - Lack of funds put the elections at risk
- 2015-10-22 - Catholic Bishops disassociate from choice of presidency candidate for Independent National Election Commission
- 2015-10-21 - Three years after the disappearance of the three Congolese Assumptionists, no word on their fate
- 2015-10-20 - Religious confessions announce the rapid appointment of the new head of the Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-12 - Concern for the resignation of the President of the Independent Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-06 - First positive impact of the report submitted by Catholic organizations on the mine in Kibali